absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Pocket-Friendly and Scrumptious NTU Food Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nanyang Tech chapter.

This is your guide to cheap and good food places in NTU that are value for money and won’t put a hole in your wallet!

In this article, we will be targeting specifically food that are $6 and below.

The Sandwich Guys @ North Spine Plaza

Breakfast Sandwich set (8am to 11am) -comes with a choice of hot drink and your choice of pressed white bread.

Sandwich
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

You get to choose from these fillings: 

• Chorizo (a kind of german sausage) -My first love
  • Ham* -My current favourite
  • Bacon
  • Mushroom

The choice of hot drinks which never fails in consistency (as it is from their drink machine):

• Teh Tarik (First choice for me)
  • White or Black coffee

Total damage = $3

Canteen 14’s Menya Takashis Yakiniku Don!

The Yakiniku variety comes in :

• Chicken/Pork/Beef Yakiniku Don
  • Shogayaki Pork and beef Don

So far I have stuck to the Pork Yakiniku Don that comes with a half-boiled egg. Each bite never disappoints. It is truly bliss everytime you take a bite, savoury, warm, and full of texture. 

Total Damage = $6

North Hill Chinese food stall

I highly recommend the fried rice from this stall! You will be greeted either by a loud and fast talking Chinese Uncle, who has a brisk nature of hurrying you to order; or a no-nonsense lady who isn’t that great at entertaining your queries, but the outcome is a fantastic piping hot plate of fried rice that is comparable to the Tze Char stalls outside of school. 

• Beef Fried rice 

Every bite is guaranteed to be full of fragrance and tastiness.

Total Damage = $4

Pasta Express

My personal all-time-favourite is the smoked duck bolognese, where instead of the usual minced beef I switch it with Smoked duck while keeping the rest of the ingredients the same. 

Ingredients list:

• Bolognese sauce
  • Sous vide Egg
  • Mushroom
  • Spinach
  • Smoked duck

Total Damage = $6

The Hive’s Co-Op Cafe

The pasta has always been recommended to me by word-of-mouth and I finally got to try one of them recently. Portion sizing was good for the price and it was truly one of the more decent Aglio Olios I have eaten.

• Aglio Olio Pasta (they have a no spice/spicy option, which is really just added red chilli)

Total Damage = $6

Tamarind Hall Canteen’s Korean stall

Tamarind’s pride and joy, the Korean stall is always patronised by hungry individuals hailing from the different halls around NTU. The stall offers a wide selection of Korean food; rice or noodles for any craving. Run by very nice Koreans who definitely give off the feeling that the food will be 80% authentic, you’re in for a meal. My go-to is their hearty Sam-gye tang (Ginseng Chicken Soup). Paired with rice and a dollop of kimchi, the tender meat and smooth soup would leave your tummy satisfied.

Total damage: $5.50

The next time you feel like venturing into the hall clusters of NTU, for lunch, Tamarind is your best bet. It is always crowded during peak hours, but once the stall owners start taking orders, the queue goes down fast. The wait time is generally less than 5 minutes!

South Spine Food Court Braised Duck Rice

duck rice stall
Original photo by Gabrielle Chua

South Spine’s newest addition serves up a myriad of scrumptious dishes. Specialising in braised duck, you can expect to have a hearty meal of classic juicy duck breast on a hot bed of brown rice with brown sauce. Apart from duck, they also offer other meat selections like braised/roasted pork with rice, noodles, or kway teow. All the rice sets come with a bowl of hot soup and a slice of cucumber for a good concluding bite to the meal. 

The queue can get pretty long during peak hours, often snaking down the steps past the drinks stall nearby. Based on experience, the time when the queue gets somewhat short and bearable is from 1.00pm.  The portion is a little small if you’re someone looking for a filling meal (ask to add an egg, or more rice).

food
Original photo by Gabrielle Chua

Total damage: $3.00

Cheers at South Spine

Cheers is the shiny new kid on the block. You can grab food on the go, including crepes, waffles, fries, microwavable food, and nachos. I must admit,  I never knew Cheers was so quirky. A shelf of donuts sit beside the counter waiting to be picked up by hungry, sweet-toothed customers. If you’re rushing to grab a bite in between classes with tight schedules, this is your stop. The nutella and blueberry cheese crepes are some crowd favourites, the nachos and fries are a close second. 

Check out the menu here:

menu
Original photo by Gabrielle Chua

As usual, the queue gets pretty long during the lunch break, but the queue goes pretty fast thanks to the cashiers’ speed. Be sure to check out Cheers when you’re around the area!

Aline Ang

Nanyang Tech '24

Hoping to be the change for a better world... Email: enilaangjialin@gmail.com Insta: @lovethyself.lin
Gabrielle Chua

Nanyang Tech '24

With a stash of Roald Dahl novels in her possession from childhood, Gabrielle seldom has a tight grip on reality. In her spare time, she enjoys printmaking and writing for her local animal shelter.