Style > Beauty

The 3 Minimal Skincare Steps for the Student Lifestyle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nanyang Tech chapter.

Being a university student isn’t always as fun as you might have imagined it to be. You have assignments to submit, tests to study for, maybe a CCA or two, and let’s not forget about your part-time job. Plus, your sleeping schedule is probably not the most balanced thing. In fact, does it even deserve to be called a ‘schedule’?

With all that on your plate, it may feel impossible to maintain a skincare routine as comprehensive as the 10-step Korean skincare regime.

As women at the prime of our lives, we need to feel good and look good. A proper skincare routine will help you experience exactly that! Following a 10-step skincare regime daily with products like eye creams and toners is probably not the best fit for your lifestyle. Instead, here are the three minimal steps you should follow to pave your way to good skin.

Cleanse every day!

You are (hopefully) already washing your face every day to wake yourself up for class. Why not fancy up your morning wash with a proper cleanser?

Build-ups of dirt and excess oil in your pores can lead to pimples, and cleansers help to remove these impurities from your skin. You can also choose an exfoliating cleanser to get a 2-in-1 deal — cleanse and exfoliate at the same time for heavy-duty dead skin cell removal.

Moisturise first, make-up second!

It doesn’t matter if you have oily, dry, or combination skin — moisturising is always a must! Just slap some on before you leave the house and your skin will be left feeling soft, supple, and most importantly, hydrated for the rest of your day. The moisturiser also acts as an additional layer of protection so your makeup will not penetrate your pores and result in more impurities.

Ladies with dry skin should go for thick, ointment-like moisturisers, while those with oily skin can opt for watery lotion types. Cream-based moisturisers are usually great for the lucky ones with a normal skin type.

Mask up right before you sleep!

A little something that both boosts your skin and gives you time for a siesta sesh. Facial masks are great for giving your skin the occasional ‘high-end’ treatment. It is not an everyday step to follow, making it perfect for students with little time to themselves. There is a wide variety of facial masks available and it is all up to you to pick your favourite type — from jars of clay masks to cheap, fun sheet masks.

Pro-tip: Mask up the night before a special event, be it a fun date or a not-so-fun presentation. From my personal experience, when your skin feels amazing, you feel amazing, and you will naturally slay your day!

Following these three steps probably won’t give you perfect skin for the rest of your life. After all, it is missing products like sunscreen and eye creams, which help to combat anti-aging, but we’re not that forward-thinking. Not for now, at least. It is, however, good enough to make you feel good while you’re in school. And I think that is what makes it a perfect skincare routine for us busy students.

Syazana Khairunnas

Nanyang Tech '21

Syaz is a 3rd year English Literature student who doesn't know how she's survived this long. When she's free (read: procrastinating), she's either catching up on her too long 'to-watch' list or her too long 'to-read' list. Feel free to recommend her stuff to watch or read - she loves to have more excuses to procrastinate from doing schoolwork.