Senior Stories: Elizabeth Lyons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

There are many students at Manhattanville who are just very happy and friendly people to interact with. Elizabeth Lyons just so happens to be one of those people. Elizabeth is apart of the class of 2017. “I’m from Carmel, New York which is not Hicksville.” she said jokingly and we both laughed at the common mistake people make. She’s a double major in Psychology and Education. She’s apart of the 5 year program so she can get her master’s degree. She’s also very involved on campus from being apart of the Manhattanville Video Project to being a tour guide. You can always spot her participating in something.

Psychology is a popular major here at Manhattanville and certainly not an easy one. “I picked Psychology because it was the most relevant to my major and I figured it would help me intereact with kids betters and teach kids better. I get to know what’s inside their head.” She explained. “I love that I picked it as my major because it’s interesting and I really like it.” 

When applying for schools, Elizabeth had a tough choice. She had to pick between Marist and Manhattanville. “Manhattanville is closer to the city and closer to my house. They’re the same size, but I like the campus here and it’s super pretty.” We both agreed that fall time on campus is our favorite because of the change in trees and the weather. 

When it comes to after graduation, Elizabeth ideally would like to have her own place to call her own. She describe her ideal space. “A tree house with in the woods and it would be super pretty with soft rugs, a comfy bed and big windows.” She started to paint the picture for us. “I would just sit there and drink tea all day and read books. I would have like 15 dogs. Also, the beach by the woods.” 

As Elizabeth’s years at Manhattanville is coming to a close it’s time to think ahead. “My goal is to be an elementary school teacher, but in the future my ultimate goal would be to travel and see a lot of stuff because I haven’t really traveled to a lot of places.”

So what has she learned all her years here? “Time goes by really fast. I’m graduating like what the heck.” Elizabeth said vibrantly as we both laughed. I had to agree with her on that. “Get out of your comfort zone because I learned a lot of things by joining clubs and stuff that I would of join based on my major.” She explained. There are countless clubs you can join on campus and you can easily start one as well. “You have to expand your horizons or else you’re not really going to learn or you’re never going to really find out what you’re actually interested in.”

Shanice Peters is a Senior at Manhattanville College. She is from Brooklyn, NY. She's a Creative Writing major with a minor in Marketing and Communications. In her free time she enjoys making YouTube videos about fashion and beauty, writing on her personal blog and watching Gossip Girl. She's excited to be the Campus Correspondent for Manhattanville and hopes to engage students in her last year.