How to Survive An Mville Snow Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

Here at Manhattanville, we tend to get snowed in quite often.  As a school with many commuters, it’s easy for class to get cancelled because of snow, and once class gets cancelled it becomes kinda dangerous for us to walk on the paths that often end up with inches of snow on then before they get shoveled.  So next time the weather calls for a storm, and you get the trusty class cancellations email, here’s how to make the most of the snow day, and ultimately survive!

Before the storm…

Before the storm make sure to go to the Pub and get as many snacks as you may want, and make sure to use your meal swipe too!! Make sure to get some water, cookies, and maybe a hot pocket and some Ramen Noodle for later.

Once you’ve got the necessary food requirements, make sure your windows are closed, and possibly taped up to avoid the draft, and get into your softest pajamas, chances are you’re gonna be inside for a while.  But how do we avoid the stir crazy feeling we get being stuck in our dorms?  There are plenty of things to do!

First off, you can hold a Netflix marathon with some of your friends! Invite them over for a screening of some of your favorite horror movies, some rom coms, or even catch up on your favorite shows!  Some suggestions are Sherlock, One Tree Hill, or New Girl, just to get you started!

If watching movies isn’t really your thing, you’re just going to have to suffer through the snow day… Just kidding! If binge watching shows and movies isn’t your thing, we’ve got you covered!  Catch up on the books you’ve been meaning to read, but watching gather dust on your windowsill instead… Snows are the perfect days to cuddle up in bed with some hot coco and your new book.

Speaking of catching up on things, a snow day is the perfect day to catch up on all the sleep you’ve been losing studying for tests, and finishing essays at two in the morning! Take the day, and sleep till one. It’ll feel great to wake up and see the snow on the ground, especially when you remember you don’t have to shovel any of it.

If you’re feeling super adventurous, you can travel outside of your dorm to the Damman Pitt, where it always feels like a beach day, the Tenney Arcade, the Game Zone, or even the gym! Lucky for us, everything on campus is close enough together where trenching out in the snow won’t be that bad!

And of course, at the end of the night if you can’t sleep, you can always study or do a little homework.

Student at Manhattanville College, right outside of New York City! Editor at the Mville chapter I am majoring in Marketing and Communications with a minor in Sociology, and look forward to working either in the music business, or at a non-profit organization! I am an advocate for those who suffer from mental illness, such as anxiety, suicidal thoughts, depression, and self harm. I'm a crafter, dreamer, and traveler. I believe everyone has a story that's just waiting to be told..
Shanice Peters is a Senior at Manhattanville College. She is from Brooklyn, NY. She's a Creative Writing major with a minor in Marketing and Communications. In her free time she enjoys making YouTube videos about fashion and beauty, writing on her personal blog and watching Gossip Girl. She's excited to be the Campus Correspondent for Manhattanville and hopes to engage students in her last year.