Dance Showcase 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

Manhattanville Dance Ensemble, Minds in Motion, and Manhattanville Dance Troupe are holding a dance showcase this weekend. The dance showcase features choreography from all of the groups and also choreography from students. These teams also have the chance to go to Disney World and perform their pieces. All of the dance groups also get the opportunity to perform at other events on campus such as Fall Fest and Quad Jam.

Photo Courtesy of Minds in Motion

Each dance group has its own flavor and vibe. Minds in Motion is a hip-hop group that dances to current and popular tracks such as Rihanna’s hit song Work. Brianna Prucknicki (Junior) has been on the team since her freshman year and has enjoyed her time with Minds in Motion. “My favorite thing about MIMO is the fact that we treat each other like a family.” She said honestly. That truly does show when you see MIMO perform together. They lift each other up and are always ready to give their all.

Photo Courtesy of MDE

Manhattanville Dance Ensemble or better know as MDE is the largest out of MIMO and Dance Troupe. It’s a non-audition dance group with just about 35 members. They do a variety of different styles of dance such as hip-hop, tap, and jazz. Damiana Carolini (Junior) joined the team last fall and is apart of the MDE Disney team which consists of a select few members who will perform at Disney this May. “There is no drama. It’s actually fun to go to practice. We are all family and love to dance. The choreography is bomb too!” She admitted after just performing the first out of two shows for the showcase this weekend.

Photo Courtesy of Manhattanville Dance Troupe

Manhattanville Dance Troupe is your fun and sassy dance group. They have performed at big campus events, but also performed at sporting events for basketball and hockey. They keep up the energy and give us that extra bit of school spirit. Rachel Johnson (Senior) has been on the team for all of her four years at Manhattanville and will be graduating in just a few weeks. “To be on the team for four years has given me the opportunity to look at my growth. I see the girls that are new to the team and I feel as though it was yesterday that I was in their shoes, but at the same time I think about how the past four years has brought me to become a leader and to have the privilege of being supported by a team of great friends through my whole college experience.” She said. “Dancing with them has meant the world to me.”

If you’re into dance and want to join, consider looking out for these clubs at the club fair next fall. Also, come see them perform at their last show of the semester this Sunday at 7pm in the East Room. Tickets for students are $3 and $5 for adults!

Shanice Peters is a Senior at Manhattanville College. She is from Brooklyn, NY. She's a Creative Writing major with a minor in Marketing and Communications. In her free time she enjoys making YouTube videos about fashion and beauty, writing on her personal blog and watching Gossip Girl. She's excited to be the Campus Correspondent for Manhattanville and hopes to engage students in her last year.