Campus Cutie: Marina Nouel ‘17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

Full Name: Marina Gabriela Filomena Nouel Perez

Age: 20

Country of Origin: Dominican Republic

Major: Mathematics, minors in French and Marketing

Year: Junior

Favorite Food: I love chocolate with all my heart, but my favorite dish would be rice, beans, chicken, plantains, and Coca Cola.

Favorite Movie: Phantom of the Opera

What’s your current relationship status? 

I have a boyfriend, he lives in DR. He’s coming in two weeks (cheers).

Why did you choose Manhattanville?

Many reasons. I like the campus, it’s close to NYC, I have family close-by, and my aunt came here 10 years ago. And I have met lots of students from all over the world, which is important to me because I like learning new perspectives from people who are different from me.

Which is your current favorite class? 

History of math, actually. Because it’s history and it’s math, and it’s two of my favorite things in one class (giggles). It’s a very fun class, although it might not sound like it.

What clubs or other activities are you involved in on campus?

I’m not currently involved in any clubs because I’m working four jobs on campus. However, I used to be part of Catholic Student Association, the art club, and the Gay-Straight Alliance but my lack of time doesn’t allow me to be part of them right now.

Did you experience culture shock when you got here from Dominican Republic? 

I wouldn’t say shock, but it still fascinates me how people are so different, like their customs. In a lot of Asian countries, people aren’t that open to homosexuality; in Japan you have to be extremely nice or else you’re considered rude, and in Saudia Arabia women have to be covered up. This might not be 100% true but it’s just the way my mind processes it. And also language differences between the Dominican Republic and other Spanish-speaking countries. Like, one word means one thing in one place and something else in another place.

I see you have a tattoo on your wrist, are you considering getting more in the future?

It’s a possibility but I have nothing planned in the near future. I’m perfectly content with the ‘My Way’ I have on my wrist.

What do you say is the hardest part of being in a long-distance relationship? 

Not being physically next to each other and keeping up with constant communication because we’re both always busy. We always make time to talk to each other. 

What do you miss the most about home? 

Food. I mean I also, miss my family, my friends, and my boyfriend. Pero loco, food.

Your sister recently became a freshman here. How do you feel about having Ivette here with you?

Marina: I love it. 

[Ivette: I love you] 

Marina: I don’t even know what other way to say it, I just love that she’s here and the fact that we can spend more time together. So now that we’re both here we can do whatever we want, like go to Toys ‘R Us whenever we want to (laughs).

Do you have any advice for the freshman?

I have many I’m just trying to choose one… Really enjoy your college years, it’s an opportunity to start over and be whoever you want to be and create yourself the way you want. So, go for it, and invest in your happiness, whatever that means to you. And study whatever you like because if you do something that you like, you’re gonna become an expert and money will follow your success. 

Did you know today is international coffee day?

I found out through my phone’s calendar. I love coffe but I don’t drink as much because I do not want to be addicted to it. I’ll probably dink some chai tea instead to commemorate this special occasion.

If you won the lottery, what would you do with the money?

Travel. Everywhere, just everywhere. With Pedro, of course. If I have some money left, I might also open some non-profit organization and support some cause that’s close to my heart. 

Describe yourself in two words.

Honest, because I’m so honest it’s not even funny. I’d say determined as well, because I feel like that covers everything else I want to say. I’m determined to be kind, determined to succeed, and determined to achieve my goals in general.

How do you feel about being selected as Campus Cutie?

I feel so flattered and so wonderful. I can’t believe you actually chose me. Thank you!

Picture: Marina in her natural habitat – the Mathematics Lounge – reading a book on, you guessed it, math.

Shanice Peters is a Senior at Manhattanville College. She is from Brooklyn, NY. She's a Creative Writing major with a minor in Marketing and Communications. In her free time she enjoys making YouTube videos about fashion and beauty, writing on her personal blog and watching Gossip Girl. She's excited to be the Campus Correspondent for Manhattanville and hopes to engage students in her last year.