11 Things I Learned From My Mother

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

Since Mother’s Day is coming up, I started thinking about what an incredible person my mom is and how I can’t even fathom all of the lessons she has taught me throughout my life. I wanted to celebrate all of those lessons by sharing them with you!

1.  Make your life mean something. Every day, my mom gives chemotherapy to people who suffer from cancer. She is so passionate about her work and cares so much about her patients. No matter what, she is a support system and a friend to them. Her job is more than just work– it is a part of who she is. Every single day, she changes peoples’ lives. Although I can never come close to the effect she has had, I hope that, no matter what I end up doing after school, I will have a job that is rewarding and meaningful.
  2. Never hesitate to show kindness to others. My mom is extremely empathetic. Whenever someone is going through a hard time or needs some help, her first thought is– what can I do to make this better? We can never go anywhere without someone stopping us to thank her– whether it’s because of the incredible work she does as a nurse, the extra mile she has gone to help with school events, or just for being a great friend. She is the kind of person who will never hesitate to donate to a charity or offer a helping hand.
  3. Always treat people with respect. I always admire the way my mom treats retail workers, waiters, the person who rings up her groceries, or anyone else she sees from day to day. She absolutely always says, “Thank you” and greets them with a smile. She has always taught me that, no matter who you are talking to, courtesy is important. Everyone deserves a happy “Hello!” and a “Thank you!”
  4. Hard work goes a long way.

My mom has always taught me that, whatever I want in life, I have to work hard for it. If I ever didn’t do well on a test, or I was struggling in a subject, she would always say– if you put in the time and the effort, and do your absolute best, that is what matters most. You can only see results if you have the determination and drive.

5.  Make time for the people you love.

My mom has been at every single performance I’ve ever been in, since day one. She always make me and my brother an absolute priority and she supports us in every accomplishment. I’ve learned from her that when I have my own family, it is so important for me to show that support to my children. It’s amazing to look back and know that you’ve had a mom who was always there, cheering you on from the front row, and felt true joy for you when you succeeded.

6. Fight for what you believe in. Even though my mom believes in kindness and respect, she has always taught me that if I see injustice in the world, I should fight for what I believe in. It is one thing to be helpful and courteous, but it’s not okay to let others treat you unfairly. I have always been willing to stand up for myself, and for others, when I see something happen that isn’t okay. She has given me that courage.
  7. Never lose your sense of humor.

My mom has the amazing ability to make anyone laugh. She is hilarious, and she has taught me that it’s always important to let yourself have fun and be silly sometimes. There are certain movies that we have watched together many times, like Bridesmaids, that she can quote again and again, and she cracks up every time. I always want to bring that lightheartedness and sense of humor with me throughout my whole life.

8. There’s nothing wrong with wearing red lipstick, you can use calamine lotion on zits, and never forget to wash your face when you take makeup off. I remember watching my mom put on makeup in the morning when I was little. I couldn’t wait until I got to do it too! Once I got to middle school, my mom slowly started introducing me to makeup and helped me learn how to use it. She could recommend to me little tips and tricks to make it easier and to find products that would be healthiest on my skin. It seems like a small thing, but I always think of her whenever I put my makeup on in the morning. It means so much to me that she saw I was interested in something and helped me.
  9. Don’t procrastinate.  My mom always taught me that it’s better to work on something a little bit every day, rather than saving it until the last minute! That way, you can do your best work and never feel stressed. Although I did have trouble doing that high school (sorry, Mom!), I’ve found it to be so useful in college.
  10. If you’re early, you’re on time. If you’re on time, you’re late. Sometimes, I get a little annoyed when my mom wants to leave super early for something– but that’s just because she’s the best planner and critical thinker in the world. She is always prepared. If we are going somewhere, she has three forms of the map set up, she listens to the news to figure out the traffic situation, and leaves early to allow time for any mishaps. Recently, I’ve started traveling into the city by myself, and I find that I try to do the same! I understand now how important it is to always be on time (or a little bit early). It shows that you care.
  11. Always pack snacks, a water bottle, Advil, and tissues. In addition to being prepared time-wise, it’s always important to be prepared in other ways too! So many times growing up, I’ve been out and I’ve realized I forgot to eat lunch and I forgot to bring food, or I have to blow my nose, but I forgot a tissue. Then I look in my bag and see that my mom remembered to pack it– just in case. Now, as an adult, I always think twice before I walk out the door and make sure I have these things.

Mom, thank you for being the amazing woman you are! Happy early Mother’s Day!

Shanice Peters is a Senior at Manhattanville College. She is from Brooklyn, NY. She's a Creative Writing major with a minor in Marketing and Communications. In her free time she enjoys making YouTube videos about fashion and beauty, writing on her personal blog and watching Gossip Girl. She's excited to be the Campus Correspondent for Manhattanville and hopes to engage students in her last year.