lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Ways to Know You’ve Found Your Lifelong Valentine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

Often, the spirit of Valentines Day tends to show itself in cards, flowers, candy, and lots and lots of pink! However, it’s important to remember on this day– and every day– what it means to be a good partner. Here are some Valentine requirements that always ring true, even if they’re not written on a candy heart: 

1. There is mutual respect. Both people in the relationship feel that their needs are being met, and that no partner “wears the pants.”  
  2. You have fun with them, no matter where you are or what you’re doing. A good partner makes you laugh and enjoy yourself in any situation. Whether you’re out to dinner, or just snuggling at home watching Netflix, they make you smile. 
  3. You can be honest with them, and they are honest with you.Honesty is the key to a relationship. If you’re uncomfortable with something in the relationship, or you have something new you want to share, you should feel comfortable doing so without judgement.  
  4. You feel secure.A good partner never makes you doubt what you mean to them. If you feel the need to get to go-ahead from your friends to text them, or you wonder constantly where you stand, or you feel like you aren’t being valued– that’s not a Valentine worth keeping in your life. 
  5. It feels natural.

Conversations don’t seem forced, and when there is silence, it’s relaxed. 

6. It feels exciting. They always think of ways to surprise you and make the relationship feel like new. And even when you’re going through your mundane, day-to-day routine, you still get butterflies when you see them. Simple tasks, like washing the dishes together, or taking a walk and talking, feel romantic. 
  7. They always support you.

They make you feel like you can accomplish anything, and they inspire you to work even harder. They love hearing about your goals and they’re your cheerleader every step of the way. When you go through difficult times, they are right there by your side. 

8. You feel like you can tell them anything.If you’ve found a person that listens to all of your venting, stupid jokes, and ramblings– you’ve found someone wonderful. 
  9. You always find each other attractive, and make each other feel like a million bucks. Whether you love wearing makeup, or you don’t, whether you love getting dressed up, or you don’t, whether you gain weight or lose weight– they always make it a point to make sure you know you’re stunning. And you do the same for them. 
  10. They make it feel like Valentines Day every day.  Although it’s always great to get presents and go out for a nice date, your lifelong Valentine will always make you feel special. Whether it’s just with a sweet good morning, a “Break a leg!” at a big interview, or an “I love you,” when you say something silly, they make you feel like flowers were delivered to your door, every day of the week. 
Shanice Peters is a Senior at Manhattanville College. She is from Brooklyn, NY. She's a Creative Writing major with a minor in Marketing and Communications. In her free time she enjoys making YouTube videos about fashion and beauty, writing on her personal blog and watching Gossip Girl. She's excited to be the Campus Correspondent for Manhattanville and hopes to engage students in her last year.