Think Before You Drop Your Sorority

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Every sorority girl has had that “I want to drop” moment. Sometimes it can be really hard to convince yourself that you should stay in it and keep going. I had that moment just a few months ago. I was overwhelmed with everything I had on my plate––school, working two jobs, sorority, social life, finding time for family and my boyfriend. I got lost in it all and could not keep up. I seriously debated dropping and was even about to fill out the forms when I had a heart to heart with one of my sisters. She convinced me to give sorority life another chance and it is honestly the best decision I could have made.

I know what you’re thinking, “It couldn’t be that great”, but it really is! I have made some of the best friends a girl could ask for through my sorority. I have finally found that group of girls that I can turn to for anything. I am no longer afraid to open up to my sisters. There have been so many moments this semester where I felt myself slipping into a dark hole, and I had my sisters to get me out of it. If I didn’t have them, then I would not be where I am today.

If I had dropped, I would hardly be involved on Murray State’s campus. Without my sorority, I am only in one other organization, Her Campus. I have had the opportunity to participate in almost every Greek philanthropy event. Philanthropy events are one of the best ways to get involved on a campus. I have been able to participate in Watermelon Bust, Fall Fest, Rock-a-thon and Step Show. I am even doing Rock-a-thon and Step Show again this year because I enjoyed it so much. These events have really gotten me to break out of my shell. I never would have been that person to perform in front of hundreds of people, but these girls give me the confidence to do so. 

Since I decided not to drop, I have gained leadership roles in the sorority. I am now the Public Relations chair, which, conveniently, is also my major. It is wonderful to be able to practice what I love with the girls that I love. I am in charge of all of Delta Zeta’s social media accounts, host sisterhood events and advertise for Delta Zeta. I also became dance chair assistant for Rock-a-thon so I am able to help choreograph and make music selections. These opportunities would not have been presented to me if it weren’t for my sorority. 

If I was not still in Delta Zeta, I would not have grown as much as I have in the last few months. I was on the wrong path before I joined my sorority and when started to considering dropping, I felt myself going towards that path again. All of the support I received from the girls gave me the positive encouragement I needed to stay in the right direction. My grades are the best they have ever been because I have found a group to study with. My health is the best it has been since I started college because I have my sisters to keep me accountable and push me even further in the gym. My mental health is even getting better because I know I always have someone to turn to. 

Though sorority life can be stressful at times, it can bring so much joy and provide an infinite amount of opportunities. You find your best friends, your family. I know which girl is going to be my maid of honor and who my bridesmaids are, and they are all my sorority sisters. I am so glad I chose not to drop. Without these girls and my sorority, I would never leave the house, participate in any campus events, or be the woman I am today. 

All photos courtesy of Cierra Zwyghuizen

Cierra is a Michigan native living in Murray, KY. Her major is Public Relations with a minor in Creative Writing. She is a founding member of Delta Zeta Rho Alpha.