This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Bright lights, busy streets, and big dreams––they all belong in the one and only: New York City. The glitz and glamour attract people from across the world, working anywhere from fashion to finance, welcoming them all to join this wonderful “work hard, play hard” atmosphere. I was lucky enough to experience the transition of being a “tourist” turned “resident,” and after over two months of living in the city, here’s what I learned:

• Steam vents really will make your dress fly up, and no, it is not near as glamorous as Marilyn Monroe portrayed it to be.

• Some of the best conversations are with your Uber drivers. Their stories are far more interesting than your life ever will be.
  • Happy hours are really a thing, and I promise that is the only thing people work towards during the day.
  • Weekend brunch is a lifestyle.
  • Look out the windows of subways; the graffiti is actually very impressive.
  • Go to the water. The East and Hudson River are along either side of Manhattan, and they have impeccable views when you need to escape all of the skyscrapers.
  • You can smile at people. They will not bite you.
  • Every borough has a stereotype, so you just laugh in agreement when your friends make fun of them, pretending you’ve lived there your whole life. 
  • It really isn’t that much different.

Image courtesy of Colton Duke

Surpassing this entire list, the most paramount thing I learned is that people are people. We may all come from different places and different backgrounds, but in the grand scheme of things, we are all human.

In a place so populated, you can’t help but do your own thing (which for an introvert, like myself, is wonderful). However, despite all the enjoyed alone time, I met some of the most genuine and welcoming people while living in such a place this summer. It is possible to break through the preconceived notion that New Yorkers “don’t care.”

As I pack my bags to make the trek back to Kentucky, I can’t help but reflect on the adventure that passed by like a whirlwind. Culture is fascinating, especially when it’s only the difference of a few states. You learn about others, but most importantly, you learn about yourself. All I have left to say is, seize opportunities, take risks, move somewhere new, and experience a different life. I promise you won’t regret it.

Abby Branham

Murray State

Abby is a journalist, cheerleader, travel enthusiast and fitness junkie. She is an avid believer of settling for nothing less than what makes you happy. Abby's life motto is a quote by Jack Kerouac: "Be in love with your life. Every minute of it."