This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Valentine’s Day is usually one of my favorite holidays because I love making people feel loved and appreciated on a day when most of us might feel lonely. However, this year didn’t rise to the occasion. This past Valentine’s Day, I decided to go out and buy FunDip to bring to all of my classes and pass out to my peers. I also went to the store and individually bought gifts for some of my close friends and one of my professors. Looking back on this moment, I realized that I got almost nothing in return. Personally, the gift of giving is what makes me happiest, so I don’t expect anything, but it did make me realize how little amount of time (and money) I actually spend on myself. And I know for a fact that I am not alone. Women are labeled as the selfless, the hardworking and the caretakers, but we rarely spend any time giving ourselves the attention that we give to everyone else. We need to SPOIL ourselves. So, the next time you’re out shopping, be sure to add a few self-loving essentials.

credits to https://unsplash.com/beccatapert

1.) Reusable Water Bottle

There isn’t much that can’t be fixed with some water. Our bodies are 80% water, so whenever we’re lacking it, it’s no surprise that we don’t feel like ourselves. So, whether you have an awful headache or are feeling a bit down about a test, water is the way to go. And a reusable water bottle is not only good for you, but also the environment.

2.) Tea ( & a cute mug to go with it)

Okay, let’s be real: who’s actually going to drink water all the time? If you’re not feeling water, tea is your next best drink. Many of us are quick to turn to coffee and carbonated beverages, but if we’re already overwhelmed or feeling negative, caffeine and added sugars aren’t going to solve the problem, but rather will make us feel more upset when our caffeine high is over. And if you don’t have one already, buy some cute mugs with some inspirational sayings on them. After all, the best way to love me is with some positiviTEA.

3.) Face Masks

Not only are they fun to use, but they’ll leave your skin feeling healthier and happier than before! They’ll also unclog your pores and deeply cleanse your skin. The benefit to this is that all of the lotions and daytime/evening cleansers that you use will be absorbed by your skin quicker, making you look and feel healthier overall. It’s almost like going to the spa for $15+ cheaper and who doesn’t wanna feel pampered?

4.) Flowers & Greenery

According to an article in Psychology Today, they found that having something green and natural in your home lowers blood pressure, reduces anxiety and improves your overall well-being. And not only that, but they make your place look and smell amazing.

5.) Candles

Speaking of good smells, there’s just something about fresh candles that make me feel more at ease. Personally, I like lighting the candles and looking into the flame. I know that sounds very odd and is most likely horrible for your eye sight, but the way that it moves back and forth tends to put me in a meditative state. You honestly can’t go wrong with them.

6.) Mirrors

Anyone who knows me knows that I can be a little vain, but as a young, beautiful woman, I should be. WE should be. We are at a point in our lives where we are supposed to feel selfish. So, put a mirror on your door, in your bathroom, next to your bed, or at all three. Learn to love yourself at all angles at all hours of the day.

7.) Journal

It may be obvious, but I love to write. Not only that, but I find myself feeling better about myself after I write, too. If I’m feeling disorganized, I may write a to-do list. Majority of the time, however, I use my journal as a diary. Although the amount of poems and pages I have written over ex boyfriends and friends fill the majority of my pages, it’s inspirational to look back on and realize how a moment I thought was so important at the time doesn’t bother me at all now. It’s another way to vent, and honestly, makes me feel as though I can grow and move past the obstacles I’m currently dealing with.

8.) A New Book

And if you can’t seem to find your own words or feel a need to escape, cuddling up with a new book is always the best way to go. It helps you clear your mind and if you’re feeling antsy or uneasy, it’ll bring you back down to a calmer state of mind. Or if you’re like me, it gets my creative juices flowing and I find myself becoming more productive with tasks following the time I spent reading.

credits to https://unsplash.com/maciekvid

9.) Take out the Trash!

The most important (and most unusual) item on this list is trash bags and here’s why: the best way to love yourself is to rid yourself of all of the things that are bringing you down or distracting you from living your best life. Got some clutter on your desk? Move it. Got some leftover makeup stained on your counter? Remove it. Got an ex-boyfriend’s shirt in your drawer? Take it out, spill some stuff on it and throw it away (or burn it if  you’re feeling passionate enough). Give every day a clean slate. You don’t need anything, or anyone, keeping you from loving yourself.

Thumbnail credits to https://unsplash.com/rawpixel  

Michaela Molnar

Murray State '20

Michaela is a Senior Elementary Education major at Murray State University. She’s a Sagittarius, Enneagram type 7, the future owner of a pug named Porkchop & her favorite color is yellow. She has aspirations to teach in the city & plans to finish writing her first book by the end of this year. A fun fact about Michaela is that she has sung on stage with Foreigner.