This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Let’s talk positivity! 

It is so easy to focus on everything that’s going wrong. Right now, the world seems a little grey, and I think I can speak for all of us when I say the bad is beginning to consume our vision. What if I told you I had a little trick to improve your mood and set your mind on a positive track?  

This summer I completed an online certificate program through AT&T Summer Learning Academy, and one of the webinars I was required to watch was on improving workplace morale. The video was filled with little tricks to use throughout the day to improve your mood and lift the people around you. 

One of these little tricks is called… The Power Lead! 

The Power Lead is super easy to implement into your everyday life and, if done regularly, will affect you long term. All you have to do is name something that happened during your day that was positive and meaningful. 

For example, I took a walk today with one of my friends and we talked about the classes we are taking this semester that we are most excited for.

Yep. It’s that simple! After implementing the power lead into my own life, I have found the effects to be threefold. 

When you share a moment that is positive and meaningful… 

1. Your mood at that moment immediately improves because you are reminded of a time that you truly enjoyed! After you say aloud or write down your positive and meaningful moment, your brain will associate that action with a positive feeling. So if I use the example from above, the next time I go on a walk with my friend my brain will be more aware and recognize that time as special. 

2. The people around you will learn more about you and have information to build conversations off of. You will be surprised about how deep of a prompt this can be. It will start your conversation on a high note and encourage those around you to open up! 

3. After a few days, you will start looking for those moments in your everyday life. When you look back in your day, the goodwill starts to overpower the bad, and you will be a happier person because of it! 

Not only have I made it a habit to note my power lead daily, but as president of my sorority, I have integrated the power lead into our chapter meetings as well. Before we start each meeting, I ask the girls to share with the people around them their positive and meaningful moments. Recently, we have been having our meetings on Zoom, so I ask them to type their power lead into the chatbox. I read through some of the girls’ answers and ask them questions before we start going through our meeting agenda. 

After a few weeks of using this as our meeting icebreaker, I noticed how more and more girls were leaving their power lead in the chat. They seemed excited to share their positive moments with the rest of the chapter. This little prompt brings energy and positive mindsets to our meeting and improves the mood of our chapter as a whole!  

If you are tired of harping on the negative, make it a habit to say your power lead before you go to bed every night! I promise it will make a difference! 

Julia Cwiklowski

Murray State '21

Julia Cwiklowski is a senior studying Advertising and Marketing at Murray State University. When she isn't studying, you can find her working out, listening to podcasts, or curled up with a good book. Julia loves to cook, go on hikes and hang with her friends. After graduation, Julia hopes to work as a project manager at an advertising agency.