photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

The Perks of Not Being Cuffed During Cuffing Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

It’s that lovely time of year again where it’s cold, nice and everything pumpkin spice. As summer turns to fall, people who would rather be single and promiscuous find themselves desiring to be cuffed, or tied down, by a serious, long-term relationship. Because of the cooler temperatures and months spent indoors, people become lonely and desperate to start a relationship. And no one wants to be alone during the holidays, either.

Photo by Inna Lesyk on Unsplash

Being in a relationship is great, but, it shouldn’t be a goal that you aim for when the seasons begin to change. So, what are the perks of not being in a relationship when all everyone wants is to be in one?

1) Freedom!

Not being in a relationship means that you have the freedom to go out and do whatever (or whoever) you want. If a job opportunity comes your way, you don’t have to stress about your lover molding their life to your goals and dreams, and they don’t have to worry about the same. You have the freedom to improve yourself and focus on your career without any distractions.

2) Extra Money to Treat Yo’ Self!

If you’re a poor college student like me, you’ll be lucky enough to have three dollars to your name. That being said, relationships are EXPENSIVE. Not only are you including the typical dinner and movie date expenses (yes, it’s the 21st century…women can pay, too), but there’s also all of the fall festivities, such as apple picking, pumpkin carving, hayrides, and haunted houses. And don’t forget about buying presents for Hanukkah and Christmas! Those add up! Instead, you can spend that money on a new autumn wardrobe or hanging out with the girls.

Photo by Greg Raines on Unsplash

3) You Don’t Have to Worry About What the Family Thinks

Whenever I bring a boy around, my parents aren’t the ones asking me questions about my future with so-and-so. My grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins have got to be the worst to deal with.

“How long have you two been together?”, “Are you in college?”, “What are your plans for after graduation?”, “Do you want kids?” and “Do you think they could be the one?” are common phrases found around the family when a significant other is brought over for the first (or thousandth) time. If you don’t start a relationship, all you have to worry about talking about when you come home are YOUR grades, YOUR job, YOUR future.

4) There’s no Pressure to Impress

One of the things I cannot stand about being in a relationship is thinking that I always need to look and do my best. But, honestly, I don’t see any need in shaving my legs every other day if the only person who’s going to enjoy them after I take off my clothes at night is myself. You don’t have to worry about constantly appearing your best in public when you’re in a relationship. Dressing like a hobo and rolling out of bed is completely acceptable.

5) NO DRAMA!

When you’re in a relationship, there’s ALWAYS someone against it, whether it be a family member, your friends, or members of his/her family or his/her friends. There is so much unnecessary chaos that comes with trying to satisfy everyone in both of your lives when it comes to entering a relationship. Plus, entering a relationship means adding on all of his/her friend and family drama, and his/her personal drama and I can barely handle my own. Without a relationship, this doesn’t even need to be close to any concern.

Photo by Tommy van Kessel on Unsplash

Sure, being cuffed when it’s cold outside and all you want to do is cuddle by the fire and Netflix and chill with your significant other and finally can, sounds wonderful, but, at the same time, you don’t have to rush anything. If you are meant to be with someone, they will find you and you will find them when the timing is right. There’s a whole world out there, and it isn’t going to wait around for us to spend our times chasing someone else’s dreams. We are young, independent women and don’t need to worry about anyone else’s happiness, but our own. So, when your friends are stressing over some guy they’re into, remind them and yourself that the right person will come along when you’re ready, whether it be during cuffing season, or not.

Michaela Molnar

Murray State '20

Michaela is a Senior Elementary Education major at Murray State University. She’s a Sagittarius, Enneagram type 7, the future owner of a pug named Porkchop & her favorite color is yellow. She has aspirations to teach in the city & plans to finish writing her first book by the end of this year. A fun fact about Michaela is that she has sung on stage with Foreigner.