This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

If you haven’t watched the Netflix Original “The Crown”, then what are you doing? 

The show looks into the world of Queen Elizabeth II. Each season follows Elizabeth through a different stage of her life ruling the Commonwealth of Nations. As someone who loves historical dramas, I am not the least bit ashamed to say I have binge-watched each of “The Crowns” five seasons again and again. Not only does the show look deeper into the monarch’s life but it dives into the lives of the powerful world leaders whom she had the opportunity to work with. There is Winston Churchill, Princess Diana and my personal favorite, Margaret Thatcher. 

They called Thatcher the “Iron Lady.” In 1959 she won a seat in the British parliament. Fifteen years later she became the leader of the conservative party. Just four years after that in 1979, she became the first female British Prime Minister.

Even though she quickly rose as one of the most powerful political leaders in the world, “The Crown” did not paint Thatcher in the brightest light. The show depicts Thatcher as someone who was not a feminist in today’s terms. Her motivation to rise as a political leader was not backed by her desire to create a path for other women to follow. She did fight to advance women’s rights, but more so Thatcher fought for herself. She was ferocious in her rule and never backed down from a man who stood against her. 

Thatcher didn’t have any interest in advancing women’s rights however that does not diminish the impact she made. She knocked down many walls for other female politicians. Thatcher did not see a difference between herself and the many men that surrounded her. She never looked at her gender as a weakness. She simply set her mind on her dream and never let it shake her.

It was her strong will and determination that should inspire us today who look back at her career. So what if she was selfish? So what if her intentions were not to pave the way for little girls who read about her in the newspaper. Margaret Thatcher proved that it was possible. For that reason, we should not shame her but should celebrate her boldness, bravery and strength. 

Julia Cwiklowski

Murray State '21

Julia Cwiklowski is a senior studying Advertising and Marketing at Murray State University. When she isn't studying, you can find her working out, listening to podcasts, or curled up with a good book. Julia loves to cook, go on hikes and hang with her friends. After graduation, Julia hopes to work as a project manager at an advertising agency.