I Didn’t Wear Makeup for a Week- Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Makeup is a vital part of my daily routine, but this week I hid my makeup bags and forced myself to let my skin breathe. Read below to follow my week make up free and follow the link to watch vlogs throughout my experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqNaYV6xKi8&feature=youtu.be

Day 1:

Day one was the hardest day for me. I did not vlog during day one. I felt uncomfortable, but not completely out of my element. It was just weird not getting up in the morning and putting on makeup.

Day 2:

Day two I was feeling pretty good. I woke up ready to have a good day. I still tried to reach for my makeup out of habit, but I didn’t give in to the temptation. I loved getting to rub my eyes freely throughout the day and not have to worry about smudging my makeup.

Day 3:

When I woke up on day three it was amazing. Not because the lack of makeup, but because the fact I slept until I left for class. I threw on my glasses and running shorts and I was ready to go. At the end of the day I got to crawl in bed and relax without the fear of getting makeup on my white pillowcases.

Day 4:

I could already tell a difference in my skin by day four. It seemed like the small amount of acne I had was clearing up and my skin was not as oily as it usually is when I wear makeup. On the other hand I was so bored. I wanted to put on makeup because it is what I do for fun. I also challenged myself on day four to wear my hair up. I realized that is when I am the most insecure not wearing makeup. By the end of the day I didn’t even think about being insecure. I don’t even know why I was in the first place.

Day 5: 

On day five I broke. That’s right. I broke down and wore makeup. I was going to a football game for Murray and I was home with my family. I had instant regret when I took my makeup off at the end of the night. My skin was already punishing me.

Day 6:

I re-entered not wearing makeup on day six. My skin was hating me for putting make up on the day before. The fact my skin was breaking out made me feel really insecure without makeup. At the beginning of this experiment I did not think I was insecure at all when I didn’t wear make up. Not wearing it made me realize my insecurities.

Day 7:

By day seven I was ready for the week to be over. I was ready to have my makeup back for good. I missed my hobby. The only thing I knew I would miss is all the extra sleep I got.

Overall, I think the week went well. I did miss my makeup a lot because it is a major form of self-expression for me. I learned that makeup is kind of a secruity blanket for me. I did not realize before that I cared what people saw or that I was even insecure without makeup. I also realized people don’t really notice when I am not wearing makeup; they just usually think I am tired or don’t say anything at all. This experience was a good one and I do think I will be going makeup free more often.

Sarah Burden

Murray State '20

Sarah Burden is a senior at Murray State University. She is a PR major and minoring in Journalism. She is a member of Alpha Sigma Alpha and loves her ladybugs. In her free time she enjoys experimenting with makeup, drinking coffee, posting on social media and spending time with her bird. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter @sarahburden__