The Harvey Weinstein Scandal: Here’s What You Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

For those of you who haven’t been paying attention, Harvey Weinstein is in some really hot water right now. To catch you up, Weinstein is one of Hollywood’s biggest names in the film industry – he is the second most thanked person at the Oscars, coming behind Steven Spielberg, to give you some perspective. In the past couple of weeks, more than 30 (yes, 30) women have come forth and accused Weinstein of sexual assault and harassment. 

Since the allegations began rolling in, Weinstein has not only been fired from a company he ran with his brother, Weinstein Co., he has lost his spot in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Weinstein’s brother, Bob, wrote to the academy expressing his support in their decision to expel him. The academy has not expelled a member since 2004, when Carmine Caridi shared promotional copies of films that were later pirated. 

An article published in the LA Times on October 14, explains the academy’s decision like this:

“Within the academy some wrestled with the decision, fearing that it could set a precedent that would require the academy to police its members’ behavior going forward. As many have pointed out in recent days, other Hollywood figures who have come under attack for their treatment of women and other behavior that could be seen as violating what the academy now calls ‘ethical standards of conduct’ — including Bill Cosby, Roman Polanski and Mel Gibson — remain members of the academy in good standing.

The academy’s bylaws give the board of governors free rein to expel members ‘for cause,’ but that power has very rarely been exercised. Sources close to the academy say that other members had been more quietly suspended in years past for selling their tickets to the Oscars ceremony, but nothing ever rose to the level of attention surrounding Weinstein.”

While the stories may be difficult to read, it’s so important that we realize how deep this problem runs. How long it’s been going on in the shadows, and how long it’s taken for the issue to be brought to light. Being a female in today’s world, in Harvey Weinstein’s Hollywood, is scary. Here are just some of the women who have recently come forward with their stories:

1. Angeline Jolie – Jolie explained her experience of unwanted advancements in the 1990s as terrifying to the point she refused to work with Weinstein ever again, and warned others when they did.

2. Gwyneth Paltrow  – Paltrow came forward with details of a “massage offer” made to her (she was 22) by Weinstein. He wanted her to come to his hotel room alone. She refused.

3. Cara Delevingne – Delevigne told her story via Instagram. Weinstein told her that she wouldn’t make it as an actress if she chose to date women. 

• As if three women already weren’t enough, here is the New York Times article with a more extensive list of women who have decided to come forward against Weinstein. 
  • For a more in depth look at the Weinstein scandal, the Los Angeles Times has put together an extensive report on the situation. 

Jordyn Rowland

Murray State '19

Jordyn is a public relations major and film studies minor at Murray State University, where she has been for three years as an undergraduate student. She is an avid watcher of anything created by Shonda Rhimes, but her favorite is by far Grey's Anatomy. She enjoys traveling... a lot. Her favorite places so far are Los Angeles and Berlin. She really loves her dog and would adopt 50 more if she wasn't allergic. Jordyn's plans include running her own TV show and trying every drink on the menu (including the hidden one!) from Starbucks.