This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

When the idea for a body positivity week was tossed around, I was immediately uncomfortable.  I have never been someone that has appreciated or liked her body but am 100% for body positivity…just not my own.  The thought of having to write something about liking myself seemed near impossible considering I only like bits and pieces.  If college has made me realize anything, it’s that I have to appreciate and take care of myself before I let anyone else do it for me.  I truly struggle with this issue but then it occurred to me that this wouldn’t be as hard as I had initially thought if I put my own spin on the topic.

In a conversation with my friend Allison, I mentioned the idea of an article on how being “fat” doesn’t equal being funny.  It was in light of the new Rebel Wilson movie Isn’t It Romantic, in which Wilson described herself as the first plus-sized woman to star as a lead in a romantic comedy.  This statement struck me in an odd way.  First: we already know she isn’t the first plus-sized woman in a leading role, but second: why does Rebel Wilson, the HILARIOUS and amazing woman she is, have to define herself as an “untraditional” leading lady. Why does her size even matter within the quality of the movie?  Is it so unbelievable that a plus-sized woman could fall in love with someone like Liam Hemsworth?

I’ll get off my soap box over this movie and focus on the real issue here.  Being “fat” doesn’t equal being funny.  If all you take away from after meeting me is that I am “funny,” you’ve drastically missed the point.  Why am I considered funny when my thinner friends are considered beautiful or stunning? Newsflash people, if I lost all my weight, I would quite frankly, still be one of the funniest people around. 

I was hesitant to even make those statements above; afraid that I was the only person that felt that way.  However, upon talking to my friends, they felt the same way.  And celebrities feel this way too.  Particularly comedian Christine Sydelko, who released a YouTube video openly ranting/speaking on her fat shaming experience.  “People are hard enough on themselves without other people chiming in,” she said.  The average person is fighting a battle with themselves every single day that you aren’t aware of.  The simple solution to all of this is to just be kind.

Similarly, we see “fat tropes” in our media every day that shape the way we think.  In an article posted to Medium titled “Let’s Stop It With The Stupid Fat Tropes,” author Shannon Ashley takes a look at the couples portrayed in film and television.

“There’s the stupid fat guy who may be married to a thin and pretty woman, but his weight is going to be an ongoing part of the joke. There’s the funny fat female who’s rough around the edges, crass, and comes on way too strong to men. If she seduces anyone, it’s a big fat joke. There’s the fat friend of either gender who’s kind but insecure. If they find love it’s usually a triumph because the other person was finally able to ‘see past’ their fat body.”

The big issue here is how funny we consider “fat” people.  As Ashley said above, it’s always the fat people we tend to make fun of and it’s never specifically one sex (though, if I made a personal guess, I would say women are treated worse).  One thing I noticed specifically was that when someone is describing another person who is “fat,” they always describe them as funny when they have a million other defining qualities; qualities that thinner people are described with.

I don’t know how to fix this issue directly other than to not be a total jerk and learn to see people for who they are.  Personally, for me, I love my spirit, personality, and humor more than I love my body.  Insulting my body will bother me yes, but I know there is so much more to me than my outward appearance.  I consider myself to be one of the funniest people around, BUT…I just so happen to be fat.

Callie Smith is a senior public relations major with nonprofit leadership studies and theatre minors at Murray State University. She is a lover of Jesus, an avid YA reader and a listener of Broadway records. In her spare time, she loves to watch The Umbrella Academy, Arrested Development, Veep and The X-Files. She loves to bake, perform, read and spend all the time she can with her friends. Callie's plans include working in public relations for a nonprofit organization she loves. Callie is the President and Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Murray State.