This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

We all know that climate change is a big deal. The problem now is working towards a solution. As college students, it may seem difficult to think that we can make a difference with the little time and money we have, but there are actually many easy and inexpensive ways to do your part.

1. Stop buying things you don’t need

This used to be a bad habit of mine. I would go to Target after school and just buy random things that I thought I needed. Establishing a difference between want and need is crucial to break this habit. I still often will see cute or fun things that I would really like, but I know would just sit around collecting dust in my room. Restraining yourself from buying silly things not only helps your bank account, but you are no longer buying things you will only throw away later which is keeping things out of the landfill. It may seem like your efforts aren’t helping anything, but having self control in this area can help you when practicing sustainability in other aspects of your life. 

2. Only take what you can eat

I see so many people throwing away insane amounts of food at Winslow and the T-Room. Food waste is a huge problem so it’s important to take only what you intend on eating. I recommend getting small portions and then going back to get more if you are still hungry.

3. Shop second-hand

Second-hand clothing is my favorite. I love going thrift shopping and finding really cool items that I know I’ll wear for a long time. There are several thrift stores in the Murray area where I like to go, but I also love to shop second-hand online. Some of my favorite apps to use are “depop” and “Poshmark”. You can also find some decent things on Facebook marketplace. 

4. Reuse what you already have

Instead of going out and buying a bunch of products to help you be more sustainable, take into account what you already have. You don’t need to buy tons of supplies when you can find them in your own house or at a thrift store. I’ve bought several reusable bags and containers from thrift stores that I use frequently. 

5. Eat less meat and dairy

Many people think this task would be the hardest part about going eco-friendly, but in my opinion, it was one of the easiest. Substitute a breakfast of bacon and sausage for some oatmeal with fruit, or make an alternative with vegetarian meat. I still eat cereal, burgers, and sandwiches, I just do it with substitutions such as coconut milk and veggie burgers. Finding foods that you love that don’t harm the environment is a massive way to do your part. I highly recommend researching the environmental impact of the meat and dairy industry.

6. Conserve Energy

Turn your lights off when you’re not in the room, don’t let the water run when you brush your teeth, take short showers, etc. The list goes on and on. Try carpooling with friends to conserve gas or even walk to your destination if it’s in reach. These ideas are some of the simplest out there. 

7. Use Reusable Products

Ditch the cheap plastic water bottles and go for a reusable one instead. Skip straws when eating out, or bring your own reusable ones. Steer away from styrofoam and cheap thin plastic. Invest in some metal cutlery in your room instead of disposable plastic utensils. Swap out your cotton face swaps for a washcloth and a bottle of soap for a bar. There are so many inventions to make everyday products reusable or more sustainable. Simply just search “item” reusable and I’m sure something will come up. 

8. Invest in your future

This is something I have become more interested in as of late. I had a really old pair of converse tennis shoes that I had for about five years. They were ripped and dirty and falling apart at the seams, quite literally. My family and friends were always bugging me about buying new shoes and even offered to buy me replacements. But, I refused because I had been saving up to purchase a quality pair of shoes that will last me years instead of a cheap knockoff from Walmart. The same thing applies to clothes, appliances, or literally anything. Save your money to buy something with actual worth that will last you longer in the end. My new shoes will last me another five years I predict, and the shoes from Walmart would have lasted me five months. Buying from fast fashion stores promotes waste and the destruction of our planet. Finding sustainable or trusty brands that will last long is the better way to go. 

I hope that my tips have inspired you to make possible changes in your lifestyle to help improve the quality of our planet. 

Hannah Kamman

Murray State '22

Hannah Kamman is an elementary education major at Murray State University. In her spare time, she enjoys watching movies, spending time outside and cuddling with her cat. She is a dance teacher and a tree hugger.