Candy Canes
Candy Canes
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Career

Budget-Friendly and Meaningful Gift Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Our favorite holiday is right around the corner, which means it’s time to start thinking about Christmas shopping. Everything about Christmas is great… except when it comes to the cost. This feeling is all too familiar. Your loved ones deserve the world, but you have – oh say – 5 bucks in your bank account. Negative balance? Sounds about right. It’s okay to be on a budget! There are so many inexpensive gift ideas out there. You can keep it cheap and still make or buy meaningful gifts for your friends and family.

If you’ve got the time and the skill, check out these ideas for homemade gifts.

1. Homemade candles
  2. Bath bombs
  3. Paint mugs, pots, canvases, anything really
  4. DIY soaps and exfoliants
  5. Recipe book
  6. Homemade sugar scrub
  7. Memory box
  8. DIY iPhone case
  9. Bake – everyone loves food
  10. Make body butter

It is 100 percent okay if you’re not crafty. You can still purchase gifts that are cute but cheap.

1. Customize a calendar or mug
  2. Avocado huggers
  3. Stainless steel water bottles
  4. Mugs
  5. Plant or flower growing kits
  6. Fuzzy socks
  7. Cute eyeglasses holder
  8. Hot chocolate in a mason jar
  9. Ornaments
  10. Rock salt lamp

At the end of the day, remember that gift-giving is about showing appreciation for your loved ones. They will be happy with whatever you get them… or at least they’ll fake it! And keep that holiday cheer on your mind when you fight to get through the crowds on Christmas Eve.

Cady Stribling

Murray State '22

Cady double majors in English and Journalism at Murray State University. In her free time she loves reading, dancing, and watching Mean Girls (obviously). Her favorite memory is swimming with dolphins - which is also her favorite animal. She is an avid supporter of the Oxford comma; her sweet tooth is never ending as is her passion for musicals. Cady hopes her future profession includes writing, traveling, and eating a plethora of ice cream.