This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

When you think of February holidays you probably think of Valentines’ Day, Presidents Day, and Groundhog Day. While those days are fun, I like to celebrate the nontraditional holidays that not too many people know about. February alone has 87 national holidays! For me, these are such a fun way to make an ordinary day a little more interesting. Let’s celebrate!

Disclaimer: I will not be discussing all 87 holidays. Ain’t nobody got time for that. I’m just going to tell you all about my favorites and leave the less appealing ones for you to figure out on your own.
  • Feb 1st: National Dark Chocolate Day and National Eat Ice Cream for Breakfast Day

• What a better way to spend the first day of the month than indulging in some sweet treats! Better yet, enjoy dark chocolate ice cream for breakfast!
  • Feb 2nd: National Tater Tot Day

• In case you’re not a fan of sweets, never fear because National Tater Tot Day is here! There is nothing better to follow our day of sweets than some delicious tots
  • Feb 3rd: National Golden Retriever Day, National Carrot Cake Day, and National Women Physicians Day

• I love all of these things! My family has a golden named Mercy, so naturally, I’m a fan of National Golden Retriever Day. Carrot cake, there seems to be a theme going on here, is delicious. I truly apologize to everyone who’s taste buds are not mature enough to grasp the deliciousness of carrot cake. And women physicians day! I have several close friends on the track to become physicians and I love that there is a holiday dedicated to them!
  • Feb 5th: National Weatherperson’s Day

• The teacher really came out when I saw this day. I immediately thought of a lesson I could do themed around this holiday. This is what it’s like to be me, folks. #justelementaryeducationmajorthings
  • Feb 6th: National Frozen Yogurt Day

• One word: yum!
  • Feb 7th: National Fettuccine Alfredo Day and National Send a Card to a Friend Day

• Okay, can you tell I like food? I think it’s becoming a bit obvious. National send a card to a friend day sounds like so much fun! It’s probably a good thing I missed it because I would be writing cards all day long. I LOVE writing cards.
  • Feb 8th: National Kite-Flying Day

• I don’t think I’ve ever successfully flown a kite before. I guess this is the day to try!
  • Feb 9th: National Pizza Day

• The best day of the year in my opinion. An entire day for pizza! My prayers have been answered!
  • Feb 11th: International Day of Women and Girls in Science, National Inventors’ Day, and National Make a Friend Day

• This sounds like the perfect day to go to a museum and make a new friend, aka my dream day off. Women and girls in science is incredibly important to me as a teacher as so many young girls lose interest in this subject because of the stereotypes and stigmas around it. I love that we can celebrate these women and encourage other young girls to get involved.
  • Feb 12th: Abraham Lincoln’s Birthday

• Fun fact: I know a weird amount of information about our 16th president. I’ve visited his grave, many museums about him, and even his former house. You could say I was a bit of an oddball growing up. 
  • Feb 13th: National Tortellini Day and Galentine’s Day

• What a better way to spend a day with your best gal pals then eating tortellini. I honestly can’t think of anything better to do. 
  • Feb 16th: National Almond Day

• I’m a big almond fan. That’s about all I can say for this holiday
  • Feb 17th: National Random Act of Kindness Day

• This holiday is my favorite!! It actually is a week-long event, and it’s the best because you get an extra reason to be kind to everyone you see. 

• Feb 20: National Love Your Pet Day, National Muffin Day, and Rihanna’s birthday

• You know I had to include Rihanna’s birthday. Once again, what a better way to spend your day than eating muffins, loving on your pet, and listening to Riri. Sounds wonderful to me!
  • Feb 21st: National Sticky Bun Day

• Once again: yum.
  • Feb 24th: National Tortilla Chip Day

• I swear I’m not just picking the holidays about food. There’s just a lot of them. I will definitely be enjoying some tasty tortilla chips and salsa at Los Portales (no I am not a monster I like them better than Don Sol’s).
  • Feb 25th: Mardi Gras

• The ultimate celebration. I vote for a Mardi Gras party on campus!
  • Feb 27th: International Polar Bear Day

• This holiday is a little closer to my heart this year as I’ve been more in contact with the facts about climate change and how it affects the ecosystems around the world. I am happy to see that this holiday exists to spread awareness to the fact that the polar bears are losing their homes due to climate change and global warming.
  • Feb 28th: National Chocolate Souffle Day

• For the final day of February, we end similarly to where we started off, at a chocolate dessert.

Month-Long Holidays: 

• American Heart Month
  • Black History Month
  • National Bake for Family Fun Month
  • National Bird Feeding Month
  • National Embroidery Month
  • National Hot Breakfast Month
  • National Snack Food Month (makes sense now)
  • Responsible Pet Owners Month

February is FULL of fun holidays even if it’s a few days shorter. Let’s spend the rest of the month celebrating! 

Hannah Kamman

Murray State '22

Hannah Kamman is an elementary education major at Murray State University. In her spare time, she enjoys watching movies, spending time outside and cuddling with her cat. She is a dance teacher and a tree hugger.