katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Struggles Working College Students Know Too Well

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Being a working college student is not uncommon, but you don’t realize the true struggles of being a working college student until you encounter the ones that do not have to. Here are struggles all working college students know all too well.

1. Never going out

Working college students are usually having a hard enough time keeping their life together, so when they do get a second to breathe going out is the least of their worries. Catching up on sleep and binging their favorite TV shows are usually top priorities.

2. Payday is exciting… for two seconds

Usually if you are a working college student it is not by choice. Payday means giving your hard earned money away as soon as the direct deposit hits. Tuition, books, and other basic expenses drain the bank account as soon as its filled again.

3. The phrase, “I’m can’t, I’m sorry I have to work.”

Want to go to the mall? Want to go to the movies? Want to hang out? Want to fulfill your basic human needs? NOPE, you  have to work.

4. Going to class in your work uniform

Sometimes your work schedule does not even allow for a costume change between class and your job, but hey that’s okay, work that uniform like the fashionista you are!

5. Getting off work but still having work to do

Getting out of your job and coming back to a dorm room full of school work is one of the most frustrating feelings a working college student can have. 

6. Trying to fit work, school, and extracurricular activities into your schedule

Working college students are usually hardworking and well-rounded people. Somehow they find a way to balance school work, sorority life, clubs, student government, work, and countless other things. They are pretty much super heros who never sleep.

7. When you finally get a break and you don’t know how to handle it

When you work constantly and finally get a well deserved break you usually don’t know how to handle it. Should I catch up on homework? Should I go grocery shopping? Should I shower? The possibilites are endless and working college students never know where to start.

Sarah Burden

Murray State '20

Sarah Burden is a senior at Murray State University. She is a PR major and minoring in Journalism. She is a member of Alpha Sigma Alpha and loves her ladybugs. In her free time she enjoys experimenting with makeup, drinking coffee, posting on social media and spending time with her bird. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter @sarahburden__