This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

**Warning: the following article may contain spoilers**

The show New Girl is emotional, relatable, and absolutely hilarious. The show also teaches life lessons that are all too real. 

1. Shit happens

We learn this throughout the entire series. All of the roommates are constantly dealing with crazy situations life throws at them. In the words of Schmitt, “Schmitt happens.” It’s unavoidable, but we have to learn to deal with it.

2. It’s okay to be single

It is not the end of the world not to be in a relationship. New Girl teaches us that you can be single and independent. Love will eventually find its way, but it does not have to be right now.

3. If you love something, let it go

The age-old saying proved right in New Girl. If you love something let it go. If it is yours it will come back to you. If not, it was never yours. Nick and Jess let each other go, but they came back together.

4. Friends fight, but that’s okay

You cannot always get along. Whether it’s a small argument or a lifelong feud over a little yellow purse are going to happen, but that does not mean it will last forever.

5. Voting is important

VOTE! VOTE! VOTE! 

6. You deserve to be loved

Through heartbreaks, new found love, career switches and all other changes you deserved to be loved.

7. Never give up

Nick Miller never gave up on Pepperwood so you shouldn’t give up either.

8. Don’t be a douche bag

Learn from Schmitt. Don’t be a douche bag. Always be kind.

9. Be yourself

Own who you are. You can bring so much to the table. Don’t hide your quirks; embrace them. 

10. Let yourself have fun

Enjoy a game of True American, eat the pizza and let go every once in a while. Fun is important.

11. Hype yourself up 

You are awesome. Remind yourself daily. Be sure to celebrate your small victories.

12. It is okay not to have it all figured out.

You don’t have to know who you are right now. It is okay to change your major or change your mind about who you want to be.

13. Don’t be afraid to lean on your friends for support and don’t be afraid to let them lean on you.

Supporting your friends and letting your friends support you is important. Don’t try to hold the weight of the world if you don’t have to. It is okay to be vulnerable. 

14. Get out of your comfort zone

Great things never come from comfort zones. Get out and try new things, even if they make you a little uncomfy.

15. Learn to say no

Don’t spread yourself too thin. Say no to things you don’t want to do. Recognize when you don’t have time to take on anything else.

16. Alone time is important

Having your friends around is amazing, but do not neglect your own personal time. Take a step back to focus on yourself.

Sarah Burden

Murray State '20

Sarah Burden is a senior at Murray State University. She is a PR major and minoring in Journalism. She is a member of Alpha Sigma Alpha and loves her ladybugs. In her free time she enjoys experimenting with makeup, drinking coffee, posting on social media and spending time with her bird. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter @sarahburden__