This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MUJ chapter.

Chest binding or simply known as binding is the activity of constricting the chest tissue with clothes or professional binders. 

Binders are mostly used by people who fall under the transgender spectrum, people who don’t identify with the gender they were assigned at birth. 

Binding is usually done by trans men but can also be done by enby and genderfluid people as well. 

Chest binding is a way of making one’s body look the way they feel. It’s done to have a positive impact on body image, to feel better about oneself and have consistency in physical appearance and gender identity. 

Since binders are not very commonly used in India, here are some alternatives:

1. Sports bras

Putting on a sports bra that is one size smaller and comfortable helps to decrease the visibility of chest tissue. If you are still unsatisfied with the result, you can layer 2 sports bras. Make sure you can comfortably breath and move around without any pain or discomfort.

2. Pantyhose and stockings

When in a hurry, you can use stockings which have a “control band” on the top and you can make a makeshift compression top for yourself. It’s not very effective for larger chests, but will work for the time being.

3. Layering

Wearing one or two undershirts and then a loose button down really helps make your chest look smaller. Opt for pockets in the front for an even flatter appearance. 

There are some things one should keep in mind when binding regularly. 

1. Do not wear it for more than 8-10 hours.

2. Your binder should not be painful and extremely uncomfortable to be in. You should be able to breath properly and move around.

3. NEVER ever use bandages to bind your chest, it’s constrictive and painful and can cause long lasting damage to the tissue 

4. Always use baby powder to avoid irritation and rashes. 

The idea of having a flat chest may seem very tempting but make sure you take care of yourself and your health. Having a secure identity is a fulfilling feeling but never at the cost of your health!

Be safe! Educate yourself and consult a doctor or someone who’s binding for some time!

Hi! My name is Ojasvi, I'm a Psychology student. I'm a cisgender queer girl, trying to make my way through college and so writing has always been very cathartic for me, when I got the opportunity to do this, I was very excited. When I'm not scribbling out my emotions onto paper, I'm usually seen putting on a full face of makeup and jamming to K-pop.
Sometimes you’ll find me spending the entire day outdoors and at other times buried in a book, there’s no fix really. An engineer in the making.