Unreliable Storytellers

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MUJ chapter.

Storytelling is an age-old practice deeply ingrained in human culture. It serves as a fundamental means of communication, understanding, and interpretation. Through stories, we convey experiences, beliefs, and emotions, weaving narratives that shape our understanding of the world around us. However, beneath the surface of every story lies a complex web of perspectives, because we as humans are complex creatures.

At the heart of storytelling lies the recognition that no single narrative can encapsulate the entirety of an event. Just as a prism refracts light into a spectrum of colors, so too do our experiences and biases refract events into multifaceted narratives. Each storyteller brings their own unique lens through which to interpret events. Just how every photographer’s perspective varies, so does our understanding and our emotions. Ergo, resulting in a collage of perspectives that collectively contribute to our understanding.

Central to this understanding is the recognition that human perception is inherently subjective. Our interpretations of events are colored by our personal biases, cultural backgrounds, and individual experiences. What may seem like an objective recounting of events is, in reality, filtered through the lens of our own subjectivity, shaping the stories we tell and the narratives we construct.

Furthermore, human memory itself is fallible and prone to distortion and bias. Our recollections of events are often influenced by factors such as emotion, suggestion, and selective memory, further complicating the reliability of the stories we tell. What emerges is a nuanced landscape of narratives, each offering a unique perspective on the events they seek to convey.

Reflecting on my childhood readings, one novel that stands out prominently in my memory is William Shakespeare’s “The Merchant of Venice.” Its narrative gripped me with its intricate plot and vivid characters, particularly the protagonist, Antonio. In my youthful enthusiasm, I found myself fully aligning with Antonio’s perspective.

However, as I revisit certain excerpts of the play through a more mature lens, I am struck by the realization of the inherent biases within the narrative. Shakespeare’s portrayal of the Christian characters, including Antonio, is undeniably favorable, while the Jewish character, Shylock, is depicted in a negative light. The play’s portrayal of Shylock reflects prevalent anti-Semitic attitudes of the time, perpetuating harmful stereotypes and fostering animosity towards Jews.

Despite this bias, Shakespeare’s masterful storytelling captivates readers and audiences, drawing them into the narrative and shaping their perceptions. Through skillful characterization and compelling dialogue, Shakespeare effectively elicits sympathy for Antonio and antipathy towards Shylock, reinforcing the prevailing prejudices of his era.

Indeed, every individual’s viewpoint is inevitably influenced by their personal experiences, cultural background, and societal context. In the case of “The Merchant of Venice,” Shakespeare’s own biases as a product of his time and culture are reflected in the narrative, shaping the portrayal of the characters and their interactions.

Now, how does this relate to our day-to-day life? In our day-to-day lives, the lessons drawn from literature such as “The Merchant of Venice” are not confined to the pages of a book or the stage of a theater. Instead, they permeate our interactions, shaping our perceptions, attitudes, and behaviors in subtle yet profound ways.

Consider, for instance, the role of the media in shaping public opinion and discourse. News outlets, television shows, and social media platforms all serve as platforms for storytelling, presenting narratives that influence how we perceive current events, social issues, and even other individuals or groups. Just as Shakespeare’s portrayal of Shylock in “The Merchant of Venice” can perpetuate harmful stereotypes and biases, so too can media representations shape our views of marginalized communities, political ideologies, or cultural practices.

Moreover, the stories we tell about ourselves and others, whether through personal anecdotes, social media posts, or casual conversation, reflect and reinforce our own biases and beliefs. These narratives not only shape our self-perception but also influence how we are perceived by others, contributing to the construction of our social identities and relationships.

In the workplace, storytelling plays a crucial role in organizational culture and communication. Leaders and managers often use storytelling to articulate values, convey goals, and inspire employees. However, the narratives we construct within organizational contexts can also perpetuate power dynamics, exclusionary practices, and discrimination if not carefully examined and challenged.

Similarly, in education, storytelling is a powerful tool for transmitting knowledge, instilling values, and fostering empathy. However, the stories we tell in educational settings can also reflect and perpetuate systemic inequalities, privileging certain perspectives while marginalizing others.

In this light, the notion of objective truth becomes elusive, if not entirely unattainable. While we may strive for an objective recounting of events, the subjective nature of human perception ensures that no story is ever truly devoid of bias or interpretation. Instead, what we are left with are multiple versions of reality, each offering a glimpse into the complexities of human experience.

Recognizing the biases inherent in literature and other forms of storytelling is essential for cultivating critical thinking and empathy. By interrogating the perspectives presented to us, we can challenge our own assumptions and develop a more nuanced understanding of complex issues. Moreover, acknowledging the influence of bias allows us to engage with literature and other media in a more thoughtful and discerning manner, appreciating the artistry while remaining vigilant against the perpetuation of harmful stereotypes and prejudices.

I'm currently pursuing Btech in Computer Science and engineering at Manipal University Jaipur. My academic journey revolves around a commitment to Computer Science, where I blend theoretical knowledge with a passion for critical thinking. Engaging in diverse extracurriculars, I aim for a holistic development that extends beyond the classroom. Beyond the academic and professional realms, I find joy in Reading, Writing, Drawing and Athletics .These pursuits offer a creative balance to my structured academic life.