Unpacking the Religion-Politics Nexus: Why Ignorance is Not the Answer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MUJ chapter.

From time immemorial, the intricate dance between religion and politics has been observed, sometimes in harmonious tandem, other times in a tense headlock. In some nations, religion shapes the very structure of governance, while others strive for a distinct separation.

The historical trajectory of the relationship between religion and politics is far from straightforward. The cultural and geographical context makes it highly complex. Despite exceptions in the vast tapestry of global history, we can see that in the rich landscape of polity, politics circled around religion from the ancient times. Ancient Rome in the, its crown jewelled with the cross, bowed to the rhythm of Christianity, while in the arid dunes of Central Asia, the Caliphate’s crescent moon marked the cadence of Islamic rule.

One would ask how did this sudden disentanglement of religion and politics take place? Well, the answer is that it wasn’t sudden at all. Gradually, this form of statecraft in which religious laws determined how the state would run (like Christianity in Europe) became tyrannical. As a result, with the development of science and liberalism, people started separating their individual identity from religion and ideas like liberty and equality took the centre stage. We also call this phase ‘the Enlightenment’.

By the 20th century, amidst decolonisation and popularisation of democracy, numerous nations like India accepted a system in which religion occupies a private sphere with limited state interference. 

But is it really that simple? For most of us, religion has had a deep impact on who we have become as a person, it has an enduring influence. There are lots of examples of nation-states in contemporary times like the ones in the Middle East, in which statecraft is still being driven by religion. That’s not all, even in nations that truly claim to have fully separated religion and politics, like the US, debates on issues like abortion and same-sex marriage often invoke religious arguments. Meanwhile in Ireland, the long fight for Irish unity is intertwined with questions of Catholic identity.

Our own nation, while enshrined in secular principles, has witnessed its own share of political controversies and debates tinged with religious fervour. Parliament and judiciary have often grappled with navigating these sensitive landscapes. This persistent influence highlights the enduring connection between personal faith and political decisions, proving the adage “personal is political” rings true even with formalised separation.

Historically speaking, religious institutions have often played a crucial role in legitimising the absolute monarchy of rulers and governments claiming it was ordained by God. And ever since, people’s unshaken faith in religion has been making it possible for leaders and organisations to mobilise large numbers of people for political purposes, supporting or opposing regimes or policies based on their interpretations of religious teachings. In countries with strong religious demographics, religious teachings and pronouncements continue to inform public discourse on ethical and social issues such as poverty, healthcare, and environmental protection. Religious leaders and institutions have a great influence on public opinion and play a significant role in voter mobilisation, encouraging their followers to vote for candidates or parties that align with their beliefs.

The problem arises when there is not enough awareness regarding this interconnection. In this case, ignorance is not bliss as blindness to this relationship leaves citizens vulnerable to manipulation. Power structures can exploit religious identities, fueling political polarisation and consolidating power. This path can lead to discrimination, violence, and even civil unrest. Acknowledging the sensitivity of this interplay is paramount. Our daily lives are dotted with instances where religion and politics converge and impact us. Thus, ignorance is simply not an option.

While ignorance leaves citizens vulnerable to manipulation, online misinformation can be equally, if not more, detrimental. Social media apps like X (Twitter) and WhatsApp have become breeding grounds for misinformation, twisting narratives and weaponizing faith for political gain. Hidden behind their anonymous profiles, people recklessly leverage online platforms to spread distorted versions of religious texts, historical events, and current affairs. These tactics fuel distrust, amplify existing anxieties, and create harmful stereotypes about various faith communities. Only by promoting media literacy and encouraging people to engage in healthy dialogue across religious and political divides, can we begin to chip away at the mountains of misinformation.

The rhythm of this relationship may be subtle, a complex ballet with leaps of progress and stumbles of misunderstanding. Yet, by appreciating the shared human story, recognizing missteps, and focusing on common ground, we can keep moving towards a future where inclusivity reigns and blind polarisation fades.

I'm a B. Tech. CSE major at Manipal University Jaipur. I'm as passionate about technology as I am about bringing a change in people's lives through my writing. I advocate for equality and empowerment of minorities. A self proclaimed sitcom enthusiast and a huge coursework procrastinator (don't worry, deadlines get met!), I'm fuelled by music and the magic of rom-coms.