The Ultimate Movie Guide to Binge

1. Pianist

Set during WWII, the movie depicts the holocaust in Poland which took place within the boundaries of Poland. Around 1.8 -1.9 million Jews were killed by the Nazi’s during the holocaust.

The film is based on true events, it revolves around the life of a Polish musician Wladyslaw Szpilman. A remarkable pianist and classical composer of Jewish descent. The role was played by Adrien Brody, who did great justice to the role by bringing out the pain, sorrow, and struggle behind the life of a musician caught between war and hatred. He acts with every fiber of his being, not just the way he talks but also his body language and the small intricate details like the movement of his cheekbones and a number of other mannerisms which help to bring out the depth of the character. The film brings out the biggest conflict in Szpliman’s life which endangers his life and puts his music career at a standstill. As the situation between the Nazi’s and the Jews worsens, he hides in the ruins of Warsaw in order to survive through the holocaust. The only thing that keeps him going is hope.

VERDICT: 𝙰 𝚜𝚕𝚘𝚠 𝚙𝚊𝚌𝚎𝚍 𝚍𝚒𝚛𝚎𝚌𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗 𝚍𝚎𝚙𝚒𝚌𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚟𝚊𝚛𝚒𝚘𝚞𝚜 𝚎𝚕𝚎𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚜 𝚘𝚏 𝚍𝚛𝚊𝚖𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚌 𝚝𝚎𝚗𝚜𝚒𝚘𝚗 𝚏𝚘𝚕𝚕𝚘𝚠𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚊 𝚖𝚘𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚘𝚗𝚘𝚞𝚜 𝚛𝚑𝚢𝚝𝚑𝚖 𝚠𝚑𝚒𝚌𝚑 𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚟𝚎𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚟𝚒𝚎𝚠𝚎𝚛 𝚒𝚗 𝚊𝚠𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚛𝚘𝚞𝚐𝚑 𝚒𝚝𝚜 𝚙𝚘𝚠𝚎𝚛𝚏𝚞𝚕 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚖𝚘𝚟𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚒𝚖𝚊𝚐𝚎𝚛𝚢.

IMDb: 8.5/10 Rotten Tomatoes: 95%

2. The Grand Budapest Hotel 

Set in Zubrowska, a fictitious European country, The Grand Budapest Hotel is a 2014 comedy-drama film written and directed by Wes Anderson which explores a lot of areas in drama but mainly the theme of the movie revolves around friendship, loyalty, and nostalgia.

Wes Anderson is a phenomenal director, has very subtly added tints of fascism and tragedy which can be seen throughout the movie. The film mainly revolves around two characters; Zero, also known as the Lobby boy, and Monsieur Gustave H, the hotel’s fastidious concierge. The plot takes an unexpected turn when the love affair between Monsieur Gustave unfolds in the story. Madame D was the mistress, benefactor, sexual partner, and best friend of Gustave. The conflict in the story arises when Madame D is murdered and the plot thickens when M Gustave is framed for her murder. Leaving the murderer’s identity to unfold in the end.

VERDICT: “𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙶𝚛𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝙱𝚞𝚍𝚊𝚙𝚎𝚜𝚝 𝙷𝚘𝚝𝚎𝚕” 𝚒𝚜 𝚌𝚕𝚊𝚒𝚖𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚋𝚎 𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚋𝚎𝚜𝚝 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚔𝚜 𝚘𝚏 𝚆𝚎𝚜 𝙰𝚗𝚍𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚘𝚗. 𝙰 𝚖𝚎𝚝𝚒𝚌𝚞𝚕𝚘𝚞𝚜𝚕𝚢 𝚜𝚝𝚢𝚕𝚒𝚜𝚑 𝚙𝚘𝚛𝚝𝚛𝚊𝚢𝚊𝚕 𝚘𝚏 𝚜𝚘𝚌𝚒𝚎𝚝𝚢; 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚍𝚛𝚊𝚖𝚎𝚍𝚢 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚛𝚊𝚌𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚙𝚕𝚘𝚝 𝚍𝚘𝚎𝚜 𝚖𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚓𝚞𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚌𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝙰𝚗𝚍𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚘𝚗𝚜 𝚏𝚒𝚕𝚖𝚖𝚊𝚔𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚜𝚝𝚢𝚕𝚎. 𝙷𝚎𝚗𝚌𝚎, 𝚊𝚐𝚐𝚛𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚕𝚢 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚛𝚖𝚒𝚗𝚐.

IMDb: 8.1/10 Rotten Tomatoes: 91%

3. Snatch

Set in London, Snatch is a British comedy film written and directed by Guy Ritchie. Ritchie is an amusingly unconventional and high energy director. He is known for his lively dialogue and action. The execution in the portrayal of characters and their comic performances is what stands out in the film; which makes this dramedy a fun and enjoyable experience for the viewers.

The film starts with a heist involving the robbery of a 86- carat diamond in Antwerp. It revolves around the lives of different characters who seem to be very different from each other but what binds them and brings them against each other is the greed to claim the 86- carat diamond; the size of a rock as they say in the movie.

The plot is a mess and a jumble of thoughts, but a merry one. It is known to be the “Pulp fiction” of British cinema and has been embarked as one of the most confusing yet conventional works of Guy Ritchie. Ritchie’s style of direction and eye for characters is hard to replicate. In his film, he has beautifully given an insight into the culture of the British locals and their mannerisms, which is rather fascinating.

VERDICT: 𝙰 𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚏𝚞𝚜𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚢𝚎𝚝 𝚜𝚝𝚢𝚕𝚒𝚜𝚑 𝚌𝚛𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝚌𝚊𝚙𝚎𝚛 𝚠𝚑𝚒𝚌𝚑 𝚐𝚘𝚎𝚜 𝚝𝚘 𝚐𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚝 𝚕𝚎𝚗𝚐𝚝𝚑𝚜 𝚝𝚘 𝚋𝚛𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚖𝚞𝚝𝚞𝚊𝚕 𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚏𝚕𝚒𝚌𝚝 𝚋𝚎𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚎𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚛𝚊𝚌𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚒𝚛 𝚊𝚋𝚜𝚞𝚛𝚍 𝚐𝚛𝚎𝚎𝚍 𝚙𝚘𝚛𝚝𝚛𝚊𝚢𝚎𝚍 𝚒𝚗 𝚊𝚗 𝚊𝚖𝚞𝚜𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚒𝚌 𝚖𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚛.

IMDb: 8.3/10 Rotten Tomatoes: 73%

4. Scarface

"𝚆𝚑𝚘 𝚙𝚞𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚘𝚐𝚎𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛? 𝙼𝚎, 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝’𝚜 𝚠𝚑𝚘! 𝚆𝚑𝚘 𝚍𝚘 𝙸 𝚝𝚛𝚞𝚜𝚝? 𝙼𝚎!"

Set in the City of Miami, Scarface is a 1983 gangster picture, one of the best of its times; directed by Brian De Palma, starring the legend himself, Al Pacino. Cuban refugee and ex- convict “Tony Montana” along with his friend Manny Ribera make their way to the United States of America. Their goal was to make it big, to live the big fat American dream and the only way they knew was by following the trails of crime on the streets of Miami. Tony rises from being a dishwasher to a drug lord. He started from nothing, “nada” as they say in Spanish. From living in the slums of Cuba to living in a gold-adorned mansion with personal stashes of cocaine that were the size of mountains, and having the “right woman” as Tony says in the movie; that goes without saying.

He had more than everything he ever dreamed about. But his greed for money and his lustful desires lands him in a pit of remorse and bloodshed. Scarface hasn’t vanished from the minds of people; it has snarled its way to the genre of Pop culture and has embarked itself on the top of cinematic experiences. Al Pacino and his actions have gone to great lengths to portray the character’s charm and appearance which leaves a great impact on the minds of the viewers.

VERDICT:

𝙰 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚕𝚎𝚜𝚜 𝚜𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚛𝚎, 𝚍𝚎𝚙𝚒𝚌𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚍𝚘𝚠𝚗𝚏𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚘𝚏 𝚊 𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚍𝚎𝚛 𝚠𝚑𝚘 𝚛𝚞𝚝𝚑𝚕𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚕𝚢 𝚜𝚚𝚞𝚊𝚜𝚑𝚎𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚢𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚠𝚑𝚘 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚜 𝚒𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚠𝚊𝚢. 𝙰 𝚖𝚊𝚗 𝚍𝚛𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚗 𝚋𝚢 𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚒𝚖𝚙𝚞𝚕𝚜𝚎𝚜; 𝚊𝚍𝚍𝚒𝚌𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚎𝚐𝚘𝚒𝚜𝚖 𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚙𝚕𝚊𝚐𝚞𝚎 𝚘𝚏 𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚘𝚠𝚗 𝚎𝚖𝚙𝚒𝚛𝚎.

IMDb: 8.3/10 Rotten Tomatoes: 81%