Wellness

Things you must know before you get a piercing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MUJ chapter.

Are you planning to get your first piercing anytime soon? Or are you someone like me who’s adding one more piece of jewellery to your body? Either way getting pierced is a very exhilarating experience but it can also go south just as quickly. These are some basic do’s and don’ts you must remember to have a safe piercing.

Do’s

• RESEARCH! RESEARCH! RESEARCH! Find out everything you can about the kind of piercing you want, what kind of jewellrey and especially what piercer you should go to! Professionalism is extremely crucial when it comes to getting pierced!!

• Eat something on the morning of getting pierced, and stay hydrated. Sometimes people can get nauseous. It would take an unnecessary toll on your body to go through both of those things! Save yourself a lot of time and energy and just have a snack.

• Make sure the piercer knows what they are doing, they should be hygienic and take your wishes into consideration. After all, it is going to be a part of your appearance for quite some time!

• Take antibiotics to help your piercing heal faster. • Let it heal completely before changing out your jewellery.

• Everyone’s body is different and piercings react differently to everyone. Listen to your body.

Don’ts

• NEVER USE A PIERCING GUN For the love of God, ditch the guns. Always remember to get pierced only with a needle. Using a gun increases the amount of trauma caused to your skin and also increases the chances of getting an infection.

• Don’t forget that you are (essentially) getting a hole created in your body, it is going to hurt. Don’t go into this expecting to feel 0 pain or discomfort. It will hurt and you might she’s a tear or two, but it’s all part of the experience!

• Don’t laze out on the aftercare. Clean your piercing 4-5 times everyday with saltwater.

• Don’t touch or fidget with your piercing. Don’t touch it with dirty hands AND PLEASE DON’T LET OTHER PEOPLE TOUCH IT.

• Don’t try to keep your piercing in if your body rejects it, take it out. It’s not worth a visit to the hospital. Trust me.

In the end, just be careful, do your research and have fun with it!

Hi! My name is Ojasvi, I'm a Psychology student. I'm a cisgender queer girl, trying to make my way through college and so writing has always been very cathartic for me, when I got the opportunity to do this, I was very excited. When I'm not scribbling out my emotions onto paper, I'm usually seen putting on a full face of makeup and jamming to K-pop.
Sometimes you’ll find me spending the entire day outdoors and at other times buried in a book, there’s no fix really. An engineer in the making.