Culture > News

The Anatomy of Intervention: US Actions on the World Stage

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MUJ chapter.

Content Warning: The following article mentions the political opinions of an individual, it isn’t intended for defamation.

Why does the US consistently involve itself in the affairs of other nations? Well, because the USA can meddle and get away with it without paying a price for it. The rest of the world remains silent, observing the USA do as it pleases, driven by a desire to maintain its superpower status.

When a country shows signs of opposing the US interest, the US will immediately interfere to “correct” the path. With its substantial oil and gas demands, the US consistently prioritizes oil-producing nations. The US would like the majority of UN members to support its motions. This is also the reason why the US pays attention to any elections or change of leadership in smaller countries. The US does not tolerate potential peer competitors to its superpower status, often attempting to divide larger nations like Russia and China, who have the potential of replacing it.

People are innocent; govts are imperialistic.

In all cases of interference, there’s always something the US gains – be it oil, minerals, treaties, favors, influence and dominance or puppet regimes.

Another major reason for the US is the presence of oil in the targeted countries. But why does the USA want so much oil, you ask? Doesn’t it have enough to be self-sufficient already? And the answer to that question would be – yes! The USA could completely shut off all its oil imports and exports and be mostly fine. Gas prices would skyrocket, but they’d still be self-sufficient. But while the USA does have enough oil to sustain itself, most European countries do not. And, most of said European countries are in a military alliance with the USA (NATO) for protection against the CSTO, a coalition of former Soviet states. The leading country of the CSTO is Russia, which has even more oil than the USA. A large portion of the oil that European tanks, trucks, fighter jets, etc. run on could be cut off at any moment from Russia in the case of a war, giving Russia a huge upper hand, at least initially. The USA, of course, doesn’t want this. So, the solution is to invade a plethora of oil-rich countries to seize their oil supplies to fork over to European NATO. From the end of World War II to 2001, the United States has initiated 201 armed conflicts in 153 locations, accounting for more than 80 percent of the total wars that occurred across the world in that time. There’s always something the US gains – be it oil, minerals, treaties, favours, influence and dominance or puppet regimes. Timeline: Oil Dependence and U.S. Foreign PolicyOil Dependence and U.S. Foreign Policy | Council on Foreign Relations (cfr.org)

“Intervention is as American as apple pie.”

Robert Jervis (Late American political scientist in “The New Amercan Interventionism”)

Jervis’ words were written 23 years ago and remain valid today. They get to the heart of U.S. foreign policy, one that features meddling in the internal affairs of other countries and subverting their governance, with the ultimate aim of securing American hegemony.

The US does what it does both in its own interests and because – here’s the tough pill for people to swallow – because her allies (Japan, South Korea, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Israel, et al) cannot do these things themselves. It has essentially been understood that these guys will operate under a hegemony created by the British Empire and handed to the USA at the end of WWII and will only pay lip service to their discomfort with Anglo-American hegemony while never lifting a finger to stop it. They will follow the American lead in most matters and in return, they’ll receive incredible protection from the US Defense Department and (grudgingly) go along with certain policy decisions that the US makes. In recompense for Western Europe’s help, the US took over a mission it wanted nothing to do with – Libya. Originally a French and British endeavor, the US assumed control and orchestrated from the 6th Fleet.

It took four Presidents, 2 trillion dollars and 20 years of war in Afghanistan, to replace the Taliban with the Taliban.

Moreover, it all boils down to money. American corporations gain better access to markets that align with American ideas and work on principles amenable to American business interests. On the flip side, the US military also agrees to defend many of the nations in whose politics it interferes as part of this relationship.

When there are more pressing issues in their own country, like the easy access to firearms resulting in mass shootings. The country’s healthcare system is broken, and they can’t even resolve their unresolved internal disputes about gender pronouns. The US exploits human nature through their cloak-and-dagger methods which are propagated by their delusional beliefs.

The one at the top is the one starving the most. The US intervenes with everyone to preserve the influence, utilizing decades of experience in creating loops of hatred and conflict. That is the single primitive idea that dwells in human’s violent nature. This primitive idea is amplified by the gift of intelligence.

Aditi Thakur is a 2nd year Computer Science student at Manipal University Jaipur. She deeply believes in less perfection and more authenticity. She is usually spilling her entire personal life online through her different Instagram accounts but is the biggest introvert in person. Give her access to K-pop, k-dramas and books and she might even survive an apocalypse.