party champagne confetti gold new years
party champagne confetti gold new years
Molly Longest / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

NO NYE PLANS? WELL, SAME

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MUJ chapter.

If you ask me which holiday do I dread the most, it would most definitely be New Year’s Eve.

It’s the day when I feel like having absolutely zero parties or get-togethers to go to is a social crime. It’s the day when I look at social media and feel underconfident and unaccomplished. It’s the day that makes me question my life, and where I’m heading to.

If I’m being really honest, I feel that NYE traditions and parties have gone way overboard than they should be. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love the spirit, energy, and vibe of the environment on the 31st Of December.

But at the same time, I wonder what happened to spending time with people who actually mattered, staying in and just catching up? What happened to having mundane plans, cooking in your pj’s, or just following a normal routine?

As a person who has spent almost every NYE at home, I have to say that my FOMO hits its peak on this day. I feel like if I’m not surrounded by people, not doing something which is worth talking about the next day, I’m not spending it right.

The additional social media pressure does not help in any way.

Be it scrolling through “how my year went’ reels, people summarising and posting their achievements throughout the year, overall I feel it does take a mental toll ; when you see everyone dressing up nicely, partying out, going to extravagant places, it does nag you somewhere that what if maybe you’re the one who is doing it the wrong way.

It might be the introvert in me who’s speaking, or it might be my personal vendetta against this occasion since I don’t get to go out and celebrate with my friends. But I firmly believe that the hype and pressure, the glamour associated with this holiday can be toned down just a little.

NYE is perceived as a day where you can set goals and resolutions, a day where you get the mindset to change your life around. But if you really think about it, is a mere list or few hours of motivation on the first day of the year enough?

Certainly not. It requires constant hard work and consistency for the next 365 days, and this one day for sure cannot be a determining factor for how your year goes. I firmly believe one can strongly use some introspection and ‘me time’, especially during the New Year period to reflect and analyze themselves. I feel instead of celebrating with drinks and food, it’s more important to celebrate with yourself. Celebrate your goals, your failures, your comebacks, think about your priorities and what you want to achieve.

No doubt NYE is a beautiful occasion to relax, take a break and spend time with your loved ones. But one needs to keep in mind that it’s fine if your Eve does not seem as happening as your peers.

It’s okay to not go out and frenzy on this day. It’s okay to sleep before the countdown. It’s okay to stay at home with your family and watch the TV.

It’s okay.

Hi y'all ! I'm Tanishaa, currently pursuing Computer Science and Engineering from Manipal Jaipur. Ambivert, socially awkward,(sometimes) writer are a few words to describe me.Always up for connecting , learning and meeting new people on my journey.