Life > Academics

A Night-Owl’s Daymare: Mandatory 75% Attendance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MUJ chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I’m a night owl. I like to stay up late, watch Netflix, play video games, and snack on junk food. I’m not a morning person at all. So you can imagine how much I hate college classes that start at 8/9 AM. Seriously, who decided that 75% attendance is the right norm for grading? That’s just cruel and unusual punishment for us nocturnal creatures who thrive in the dark. How am I supposed to learn anything when I can barely keep my eyes open? How am I supposed to participate when I can barely form a coherent sentence? How am I supposed to enjoy college when I have to sacrifice my natural sleep cycle for some arbitrary rule? It’s not fair, I tell you. It’s not fair.

Studies have shown that Night Owls and morning larks have different brain structures and cognitive abilities. Night owls tend to have more creativity, flexibility, and problem-solving skills than Morning Larks during the latter half of the day. They also tend to be more alert and energetic in the evening, when they can focus on their tasks without interruptions or distractions.

Another thing that can affect your productivity is mandatory attendance. Whether it is in school or at work, being forced to sit inside a classroom or an office for hours can be detrimental to your interest and motivation. Especially if you are not engaged or challenged by the content or the tasks. Mandatory attendance can make you feel like you have no autonomy or choice over your learning or working process. It can also make you feel bored, frustrated, or resentful of the authority figures who impose it on you.

Studies have also shown that mandatory attendance can reduce the intrinsic motivation of students and workers, which is the motivation that comes from within and is driven by curiosity, interest, or enjoyment. On the other hand, mandatory attendance can increase the extrinsic motivation of students and workers, which is the motivation that comes from outside and is driven by rewards, punishments, or pressures. Extrinsic motivation is not as effective for learning and working, as it leads to lower performance, retention, and satisfaction.

We deserve some respect and accommodation for our natural rhythms.

Why oh, why do we have to suffer the tyranny of the early birds who think they are better than us just because they get up with the sun? It’s time to rebel against this unjust system and demand more flexibility and freedom for our nocturnal lifestyle. Who’s with me? 🦸‍♀️

Well, I feel most of the college-going students would be in my support here. You should not force yourself to follow a schedule that does not suit your natural rhythm. Instead, you should find out when you are most productive and plan your activities accordingly.

Kashish Adwani is the editor at her campus at Muj chapter. She loves penning down thoughts and opinions about life, society, human psychology, dreams, food, and book reviews. beyond her campus, she loves writing poetry, and prose and has published a couple of fan-fictions too on some of the popular web-novel platforms. currently, she is working on her first book. On the academic front, she is pursuing a bachelor's degree of B.tech in information technology from MUJ. She is a budding Android app developer who is also a data analytics and design enthusiast. She is a bibliophile, and an ambivert who loves socializing and talking with fellows about literally anything, but also cherishes the peace and content that she gets by sitting in silence all by herself. She believes your words hold the potential of becoming a weapon and bringing a smile to your audience's faces all at once, the only condition is if you know how to choose them wisely or not.