timothee chalamet in dune part two
timothee chalamet in dune part two
Niko Tavernise / Warner Bros

Lessons from Dune – Intersection of Power and Ideology

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MUJ chapter.

In the realm of art, the question of whether creativity is inherently political is one that continues to provoke debate and introspection. From paintings to literature, music to film, art has often served as a reflection of society’s most pressing issues and a catalyst for social change. Yet, amidst the myriad expressions of human creativity, the relationship between art and politics remains a complex and multifaceted phenomenon. Frank Herbert’s Dune, particularly its first book, offers a compelling narrative that delves into these intersections, challenging readers to consider the role of power, ideology, and critical thinking in shaping our world. Central to the exploration of politics in Dune is the figure of Paul Atreides, whose journey from reluctant hero to messianic figure serves as a cautionary tale about the dangers of blind faith and unchecked ambition.

The Fremen, indigenous inhabitants of the desert planet Arrakis, come to believe in Paul as their prophesied savior, placing their hopes and dreams in his hands. However, as Paul grapples with the weight of his destiny, he ultimately fails the Fremen in many ways, unable to live up to their expectations and promises. This dynamic mirrors real-world examples where charismatic leaders have risen to power on waves of popular support, only to disappoint their followers and betray their ideals. From political revolutions to religious movements, history is replete with instances of leaders who have exploited the faith and trust of their followers for personal gain, leaving devastation in their wake. Moreover, Dune offers a stark critique of the ways in which power and resources are exploited by those in positions of authority. The planet Arrakis, with its valuable reserves of the spice melange, becomes a battleground for competing interests, as noble houses, corporate entities, and religious orders vie for control. In this struggle for dominance, the indigenous Fremen are caught in the crossfire, their way of life threatened by forces beyond their control. This exploitation of resources and manipulation of indigenous peoples for profit echoes real-world patterns of colonialism, imperialism, and economic exploitation.

Furthermore, Dune explores the theme of identity politics and cultural divisions manipulated by those in power. As rival factions vie for control of Arrakis, ancient enmities are reignited, and cultural identities are weaponized to further political agendas. Yet, beneath the surface of these conflicts lies a deeper truth: that the true beneficiaries of such strife are often the powerful elites who stand to gain from division and discord. In this context, Herbert reminds us of the importance of critical thinking and intellectual autonomy in the face of power and ideology. As readers navigate the intricate webs of deception and manipulation in Dune, they are confronted with the sobering realization that truth is often a matter of perspective, and that those who wield power are not always to be trusted. By challenging readers to question authority and think for themselves, Herbert’s masterpiece serves as a call to arms against the forces of tyranny and oppression. In a world where truth is often manipulated for political gain and identity is weaponized to divide and conquer, the lessons of Dune remind us that the pursuit of knowledge and understanding is the key to liberation and enlightenment.

Varun Sivanesan is the part of the junior working team at her campus at Manipal University Jaipur chapter. While there is no constraint on what kind of articles he writes, there is a large emphasis on pieces against various forms of human rights violations and systemic oppressions and in favour of improving the social security safety nets of oppressed classes. He has an open mind to new ideas and has a keen interest in world history and its geopolitics, sports, movies, maps and other vast diverse forms of entertainment