Style > Fashion

IS RANVEER’S NUDE PHOTO SHOOT THE MODERN FASHION OR A SOCIAL TRANSGRESSION?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MUJ chapter.

Fashion is about expression and everyone has a fashion of their own but guess some of us got
it wrong and now seem to confuse it with nudity or has nudity become the new fashion?
Ranveer Singh’s latest photoshoot has created quite a scene. It has both amused and offended
many. It is bold of the actor undoubtedly but that begs the question what was he trying to say
by baring it all?
Ranveer says that he has been so naked in his performances that it doesn’t bother him to be
physically naked, maybe that’s what it depicts, to be naked and open about emotions. This
appealed to a lot of people, few even applauded him for redefining masculinity by wearing no
clothes and tossing away the conventional idea of masculinity. It was jaw-dropping for some
women and downright offensive to some but why was it? or rather the question should be
phrased as, how can it not be offensive?
Sending a woman, unsolicited pictures or nudes without her consent, when she didn’t ask for
it is against the laws and a punishable offense and this isn’t any different. To open Instagram
and find someone’s nudes to didn’t feel nice and has hurt a lot of us women. There is a reason
why movies that contain nude content are adult rated but somehow it didn’t seem to concern
few actors and fashion magazines and they think it’s okay to post nudes on social media in a
generation where children are actively using it.
Fashion and culture go hand in hand. Since the early ages, civilizations have developed and
cultures have progressed a lot and they will continue to, but is this modern fashion
progressing or leading us astray?
To tell someone what to do with their bodies, and how to dress up is a form of oppression but
is simply asking to dress up oppression too? It is hard to tell as the line between
transgression and oppression seems to be very blurry here, particularly when there’s also a
non-neglectable part of the society supporting the ‘transgressive behavior’.
Nudity has always been there. In art, fashion, movies, and many other places but the popular
opinion is still that it is not a trend to be appreciated and followed. The idea is not to shame
the people who are selectively doing it but to ask ourselves if this is something that positively
directs society and if these actions and their consequences are going to bring something
positive for the people because society keeps adapting fashion but it doesn’t stand
transgression.

Harika is an engineering student at MUJ who is driven by an insatiable thirst for knowledge, a profound love for writing, and an unwavering passion for the world of finance. With an ambitious spirit and an unyielding dedication, she aspires to become a formidable businesswoman, poised to make a profound impact on the global stage.