Life > Experiences

How to Stop Feeling Like a Fraud: Fighting Impostor Syndrome

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MUJ chapter.

Disclaimer: All information presented here is for general reference only and isn’t meant to be taken as specific professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Self-diagnosis might not always be correct, please consult a trained medical professional.

Picture this. You fall back onto the couch after seeing your exam results. Even though you’ve scored really well considering the exceptionally high standards you set for yourself, the anticipated euphoria is absent. You acknowledge your effort, but a nagging feeling persists –  you didn’t work hard enough and you’ve clearly got more than you deserve. You’re scared that everyone’s going to hate you. You feel sick in the stomach, all remaining happiness gets drained from your body and all that’s left is this sick feeling that keeps crawling in your gut screaming that you’re a fraud, that you’ve stepped on others to reach where you are, that you scored well out of sheer luck, that someone’s soon going to find out how fake you are and that someone else is much more deserving of getting what you have. You discount all positive feedback from others and keep falling deeper into the hole of self-hatred. If this resonates with you, then sorry to say but you might have Impostor Syndrome. The bad thing is, it sucks but the good thing is, you’ve found the perfect guide on how to not feel this way!

Firstly, Impostor Syndrome is more common than you’d think: according to a research published in the International Journal of Behavioural Science, approximately 70% of people experience it at some period in their lives, with overachievers being more prone. A survey of 5,000 individuals by the training and apprenticeship provider Executive Development Network found that Gen Z (66%) and millennials (58%) were much more likely to have experienced imposter syndrome than Gen X (41%) and people in their sixties (25%).

If you identify with Impostor Syndrome, you’ll find yourself holding your luck responsible for everything you’ve ever achieved. You will end up feeling like you never work for anything that you get. All of this makes you wonder if you’ve snatched this place where you stand from someone else who’s much more deserving and who works much harder than you. You might even find yourself deeply entrenched in self-doubt, self-loathing, or worse, depression.

Okay, I know I have Impostor Syndrome, now what? Well, as the person who made you aware of the mess you are in, it’s my responsibility to help you get out of it. Now that you’ve recognized the impostor within yourself, the next step would be to recognize the people around you who fuel it. They could be anyone who makes you feel unworthy, including friends, family, coworkers, teachers, and acquaintances. My journey with Impostor Syndrome has taught me that it’s almost always a person whose words you let yourself get influenced by. Make an effort to keep your physical and emotional distance from them. Recognise that it is advisable to avoid them, even if they are not purposely igniting it, especially if something they do triggers you.

Now that we’ve figured out the external factors, it’s time to work on ourselves. I want you to try this. Every time you accomplish something, take a rational step back and evaluate your route to success from a neutral standpoint. Think about all the work you’ve put in and everything you’ve done to stand where you do. This will help you internalize your success and build confidence. And I cannot say this enough but CELEBRATE!!! Go out and treat yourself to a silly little sugary drink. And remember, comparing yourself to others does no good. Everyone is on a different journey, so focus on your achievements. Lastly, allow yourself room to make mistakes and learn to forgive yourself when you do. Self-compassion and kindness towards yourself go a long way towards fighting Impostor Syndrome.

Overcoming Impostor Syndrome is not easy at all, but as the person writing this article will tell you, it’s not impossible either. Eventually, you’ll grow to have more confidence and belief in yourself. Someday, your accomplishments will feel earned and not accidental. With the right mindset and the right kind of people around you, someday you’ll silence the impostor within and embrace your true abilities. 

You are loved for who you are. You’re more than enough. <3

I'm a B. Tech. CSE major at Manipal University Jaipur. I'm as passionate about technology as I am about bringing a change in people's lives through my writing. I advocate for equality and empowerment of minorities. A self proclaimed sitcom enthusiast and a huge coursework procrastinator (don't worry, deadlines get met!), I'm fuelled by music and the magic of rom-coms.