Career > Work

CONSTRUCTION OF SEXISM: WOMEN IN ARCHITECTURE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MUJ chapter.

There are some fields that have been associated with males from the start of time; architecture being one of them. When we look around to appreciate the wondrous, stunning, and out-of-the-world man-made structures: be it the Gerkin or the Eiffel Tower, there is usually the name of a man associated with it.

Architecture is a domain where women still lag behind statistically. But the interesting point here to note is that this gap is not that large when we look at the figures of females enrolling in architecture schools. So then the question arises, why is there a decline in the number of female architecture students and the number of female architects?

One of the prime reasons might be the societal duties and household chores that a woman is supposed to handle and manage, after as well as before marriage. Being an architect is a full-time job, demanding a person’s constant focus and work. An architect working on a project has to give his/her two hundred percent in order to meet the deadlines.

Females might take maternity leaves, usually lasting for more than six months and they might find it difficult to return back to this highly demanding field, keeping up with the trends /designs and managing a whole team. Also, added pressure from their families of staying back and taking care of their homes might come into play, resulting in them losing their jobs.

The mindset that women are unfit for on fieldwork is still largely prevalent, and architecture does consist of a lot of it. This might discourage some females to pursue it, who feel themselves to be inferior or not so confident as compared to their male counterparts. Also, the fact that most of their peers would be males might become a factor for them to stop stepping into this field.

Imagine doing the same amount of work, having the same education and yet being paid lesser than your male colleagues. This pay difference is also a reason which further discourages women from stepping into this field.

If you see the figures of the best architecture firms in the world, you would be astonished to see how few of them have women at the top managerial positions. This clearly shows the division of responsibilities and the work-life balance difference between a female and a male. Even though they might have the same aim, the journey to reach it is completely different for both genders.

There have been incredible female architects in the past; Zaha Hadid, Yvonne Farrell, Barbara Res. The iconic London Eye was made by Julia Barfield, which has now become a landmark for such a magnificent. Lina Bo Bardi has been credited with the making of the Sao Paolo Museum of Art, a bright red structure made on stilts, which catches the eye of everyone.

It’s evident that the passion and creativity required in this field are displayed by women as well. What they need in today’s times are opportunities and rules in the workplace, to ensure job security and work-life balance. What they need is a space where they can allow themselves to create pillars, towers, and buildings of all shapes, sizes, and colors, free from the blacks of societal duties and pressure.

Hi y'all ! I'm Tanishaa, currently pursuing Computer Science and Engineering from Manipal Jaipur. Ambivert, socially awkward,(sometimes) writer are a few words to describe me.Always up for connecting , learning and meeting new people on my journey.