Culture > Digital

Beyond Clocks: Time Without Measure

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MUJ chapter.

Within the confines of the finite and certain past and the uncertain future lies the ephemeral boundary we call the present. It is a fleeting moment, ever in motion, ceaselessly slipping into the annals of the past. From the theoretical inception marked by the Big Bang to the conjectured conclusion denoted by the Big Crunch, there exists a transient and somewhat awkward moment we dub as, ‘now. This ‘Now’ stands as the most invaluable and volatile period of time, where each choice diverges into a myriad of potential endings. It seemingly encapsulates the entirety of our lives, traversing through memories and perhaps even weaving between them. Within this momentary ‘now’, we encounter the full spectrum of emotions, hardships, and triumphs, witnessing life and death in a mere heartbeat.

This reflection prompts us to consider the nature of the current moment, a transient but significant turning point that forms the centre of our existence. The fleeting ‘now’ leads us through the complex maze of life, interlacing our decisions, experiences, and feelings. It is a transient, ever-changing bridge that connects the certainty of the past with the uncertainty of the future. Within the field of metaphysics, time takes on a complex nature that begs examination from a range of philosophical perspectives. From the deterministic perspectives of classical physics to the phenomenological subjective senses, the substance of time is examined, analysed, and thought about. The idea of the present moment becomes central to this conceptual space, where the past, present, and future come together in a precarious balance.

The paradox of the ephemeral nature of the present forces us to recognise that our efforts to grasp its essence frequently lead only to its eventual dissolution into the past. However, there is a great chance for reflection and development in this fleeting state. It acts as a moving reminder of how we are all a part of the universe and the always changing currents of life.

We must explore the secrets of time and consciousness in order to make sense of the enigma surrounding our fleeting existence within the vastness of the cosmos. The philosopher Bergson presents a convincing viewpoint, putting forward a dynamic unity in which time and awareness are deeply entwined. According to Bergson’s theory, the present is not a fixed point in time but rather a dynamic stream that is always changing. This viewpoint pushes us to see time as a coherent story, overcoming the limitations of linear vision and promoting a deeper comprehension of the intricacies of life.

Bergson’s philosophy emphasizes the qualitative nature of time, diverging from the rigid measurements of conventional science. He posits that subjective perception shapes our experience of duration, intrinsically linked to the essence of existence. This perspective extends beyond abstract theorizing, urging us to reevaluate our relationship with time amidst a world governed by schedules and deadlines. Embracing the dynamic wholeness of the present encourages a shift from rigid temporal divisions to a more flexible and enriching comprehension of the present moment.

Henri Bergson’s exploration of the duration of the present challenges our fundamental conception of time encapsulated in the notion of dynamic unity. By eschewing traditional spatial metaphors and emphasizing subjective experience, Bergson offers a framework for understanding the ever-evolving nature of the present moment. 

In conclusion, embracing the philosophy of time’s dynamic flow unveils the metaphysical essence of existence. Giving in to its unending motion allows us to rise above limited views and submerge ourselves in limitless possibilities, setting forth on a life-changing quest for enlightenment and self-discovery. We are freed from resistance and fear in this never-ending dance, accepting change as the fundamental aspect of our cosmic reality.

MUJ person in india …… ………