Culture > News

Women Taking Over History; Congress In The Midterm Election

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

After election night, I was thrilled to see all the updates appear on social media. There are so many firsts in the U.S. Congress’ history. For example, Deb Haaland and Sharice Davids became America’s first Native American woman to be elected into Congress. Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar became America’s first Muslim women in Congress as well, while Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is America’s youngest woman to ever be elected to Congress.

Women are making strides in changing their own world. Diversity is key in order to see eye-to-eye and to learn from different experiences. According to Rutgers University, “87% women hold seats in the House of Representatives, comprising 20.0% of the 435 members in 2018. The women represent 34 states; 64 are Democrats and 23 are Republicans.” Democrats are taking back control of the House, led by Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi of California, who got elected again to be Speaker of the House.

The new members have been constantly active on social media sharing their journey as newly elected members of Congress.

Ilhan Omar took to twitter to show a snapshot of her and her dad making their way to Washington to be induced. “[23] years ago, from a refugee camp in Kenya, my father and I arrived at an airport in Washington DC,” Omar posted, along with a picture of her and her father pulling suitcases. “Today, we return to that same airport on the eve of my swearing in as the first Somali-American in Congress.”

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is turning to Instagram to show the women of the congress, taking a portrait of some of the powerful change-makers. She even gave followers an insight look by showing other women fixing her hair for the ceremony. I cannot wait to see what these intelligent and powerful women will do for our country.

Lynsey Stanicki

Muhlenberg '21

My name is Lynsey Stanicki and I'm from New Jersey. I am a double major in Media/Communications and Theatre at Muhlenberg College. I also run my own podcast called A Work In Progress. Thank you for reading!