This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Lately, I have been obsessed with thrift shopping. Every shopping trip is an exciting adventure because you never know what you will find. Although there is a stigma around thrifting, there are so many reasons to do it! According to America’s Research Group, about 16 – 18% of Americans will shop at a thrift store in a year.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that, when you thrift, you save a ton of money going to stores such as Goodwill and Salvation Army by finding low prices on clothing, home decor, shoes, shoes and accessories. My philosophy is: why pay for something full price when you can get the same thing in great condition for much cheaper? The best part of thrifting is that you can buy so much more items than you could afford otherwise.

There is a misconception that clothing and other items from thrift stores are poor quality, but that is far from the truth. All of the clothing I have gotten from thrift stores are in great quality and have lasted me a long time. Sometimes, you can even find clothing that still have the tags on and have never been worn. 

The great thing about thrift stores is that most wash the clothes before putting them on the floor, so if it gone through wear and tear prior to you buying it and it is still good quality, it is most likely made well. For me, trying on clothes from a thrift store before buying that is incredibly important; most stores have fitting rooms so I would recommend taking advantage of that. 

Even if you don’t find any items that you would want to wear, you can always start DIY projects by finding inexpensive products at thrift stores. For example, you can turn a long t-shirt into a cute dress, or you can re-purpose different pieces of furniture.

You can even make money by thrift flipping. Stores like Plato’s Closet allow you to give them clothing you don’t wear anymore in exchange for money. Another option are apps like Poshmark, which allows you to sell your new and used clothing online to all over the country. 

Although thrifting is not as easy as going to a department store, sifting through all of the different clothing options is worth it in the long run when it comes to saving money!

Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.