This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Why do people believe that wearing all black makes you “goth?” 

I think it is important to mention that being goth is awesome. It is someone expressing their style and who they are. And not being afraid to be who you are is inspiring. However, being goth is not just about just wearing black clothing every day. Being goth is a lifestyle which that person chooses to live. This lifestyle affects the way that person acts and along their personal style. Being goth also depends on their make-up, hairstyle, certain accessories, and even the kind of music they listen to. Even if you are not someone who is into fashion, one thing you should know is that wearing a color does not make you a certain type of person. Think again!

​When I was in high school, I went through a phase where I wore black every day.

As a result, my family always asked why I was goth and did not wear any other colors. I had to tell them that just wearing black does not make me goth. I wore black because I admired the look of an all-black outfit. I felt chic. Some people even prefer wearing all black outfits because they believe they look the best in that color.

​In fact, wearing all black can make you look slim and it can be considered classy. For example, women wear black dresses and might top the dress off with black high heels if they are going to a fancy event. She might even wear a smokey eyeshadow look to match the black.

Can’t we just be individuals that like wearing black clothing and not be considered to be something that we are not? I think we can. If you want proof, take a look into my closet because most of my wardrobe is black.  

My name is Alison and I currently go to Muhlenberg College. I study Theatre but also have an eye for fashion. My style is a huge part of who I am. I not only express myself on stage, but express myself with the my wardrobe. Owning your own style and vibe is important. Writing for HerCampus is also a privilege for me because now I can write about fashion, give advice, and encourage my readers to own who they are with the clothes they wear. I also keep people updated on my outfits and what i wear that gets me through college! I encourage people to follow me on my instgram almaybaum_ and my Visco!
Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.