Culture > News

The Coronavirus: What it is and What We Need to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (nCoV) is an upper respiratory illness that was first detected in Wuhan, China. It is assumed to have been linked to seafood and animal markets which means it was started as an animal to person spread, but it has now become person to person spread. 

It has become an epidemic with 564 people dead in China and over 7,700 confirmed cases worldwide as of January 30th. The U.S. has six confirmed cases and its first person to person case confirmed in Chicago. As of February 3rd, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the 2019 Novel Coronavirus a public health emergency. 

The Novel Coronavirus is spreading quickly and with it already being cold and ] flu season, it is very important to take care of yourself. The symptoms of the Novel Coronavirus are similar to the common cold and include runny nose, headache, cough, and a sore throat. To avoid contracting any illnesses, make sure to wash your hands, avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth, avoid close contact with sick people, stay home and rest when you are sick, cover your coughs and sneezes, and disinfect frequently. 

The Coronavirus has affected China and the world in more ways than by getting people sick. Global stocks have shot down, countries have suspended Chinese visas, other countries citizens are being held in quarantine in China, and raise for anti-chinese sentiment has occurred. 

Hi, my name is Veronica Pasko and I am a sophomore at Muhlenberg College. I am studying Media and Communications and also minoring in Business Administration.
Yanet Ocampo

Muhlenberg