timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ariana Grande “Sweetener” Album Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Ariana Grande’s new album Sweetener has been greatly anticipated. It was finally released on August 17th and people have fallen in love! Within the first week that the album was released, songs were streamed 126.7 million times across various platforms. Each track on Ariana’s fourth album is unique and has a different sound that appeals to different moods and tempos. It ranges from upbeat, fun, and inspiring songs like “Breathin” to slower, soulful songs like “R.E.M.”. Each track has something special to offer and for listeners to connect with, and that is why I personally love this album.

It is difficult to know the true meanings behind different tracks on Sweetener, but Ariana has directly spoken out about the meaning of a specific song: “Breathin.” She stated in an interview on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon that this track is about her anxiety, specifically about her struggles with having panic attacks. This past July, she opened up about her PTSD diagnosis following the Manchester bombing at one of her concerts. This song embodies Ariana’s bravery and courage, and it shows fans that it is okay if they are going through hardships or struggles with their mental health.

Another song that Ariana has opened up about, and that the public has speculated about, is “Pete Davidson.” After her recent engagement to the SNL comedian, this song title has an obvious meaning attached to it. She wrote this song while dating him right before they became engaged and the song is reminiscent of that; she sings about how Pete is her soulmate and about how happy he makes her.

As for the meaning of the album as a whole, Ariana stated in the same interview with Jimmy Fallon that the meaning of the title Sweetener is “kind of about like bringing light to a situation, or to someone’s life, or somebody else who brings light to your life, or sweetening the situation.” This is an amazing message that many listeners can relate to. Listening to songs that encourage you to think about the positive aspects of your life or to be grateful for someone that supports and loves you is extremely inspiring. If you haven’t listened to Ariana’s new album, I definitely encourage you to do so. I promise you won’t regret it!