Why Chickens are Great Pets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MTSU chapter.

From starting with 5 chickens to now having over sixty, I have almost 5 years of experience with poultry under my belt. This experience has allowed me to view chickens in a whole new way than I ever had before. Like everyone else, I use to view chickens as a resource of eggs and meat. That was it. They did not have their own personalities or daily adventures. They just simply existed for our consumption. Now I have learned that yes, they are food providers, but they are also so much more. Chickens are absolutely the best pet to own, and here is why.

1.     Chickens provide eggs.

This one is probably one of the more obvious reasons. Hens are a great source of eggs and, depending on the breed and age, can lay an egg daily. The best part is that you do not even need a rooster for a hen to lay eggs! During the warmer months, I can get about a dozen eggs or more from my hens in a single day.

2.     Chickens are independent.

Chickens, surprisingly, are very independent animals. They form their own social hierarchies (pecking orders) and will keep each other in check. If the chickens are allowed to free range, they will go on their own daily adventures and return at night to sleep. With simple and quick training, it is easy to train hens to lay eggs in specific spots and sleep in specific areas. The only care they really need is providing them with fresh food, water, and a secure shelter.

3.     Chickens make great companions.

When socialized from a young age, chickens can be very friendly. With my own chickens, they tend to follow me around the yard and will come when called (as a swarm of chickens, not individuals). Chickens are also very soft and fun to cuddle and pet. Not all chickens love to be held, but the ones that do are always the gentlest!

4.     Chickens are cute.

There are many varieties of chickens that are all cute! Some are super fluffy; others have interesting patterns. Chickens also come in a variety of sizes! Some are the size of your hand, and others the size of your torso.

5.     Chickens are natural garbage dispensers.

Do you find yourself with a lot of food waste? Well chickens are a great answer to that problem! Chickens will practically eat anything and everything.

Overall, chickens are amazing pets to own. Each one has their own personality and routines and it is fun discovering those types of things. If you are able to, I highly recommend starting a flock of your own. It is very rewarding and an amazing experience!

Hello! I am the editor of the Her Campus at MTSU Student Chapter. Being an Animation major and Art minor at MTSU, I enjoy all things animated as well as creating digital art. I also love animals and own a dog, a cat, a rabbit, a parrot, and a dozen chickens. There is never a dull moment for me!