element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Ultimate Holiday Gift Guide (Things Your Friends Actually Want)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Ahhh, the Holiday season is upon us again! I am notorious for getting really into the Holiday spirit (I think the mini Christmas tree in my dorm room can speak for itself), but I encounter one challenge every year: finding gifts for my friends. Don’t get me wrong, selecting the perfect gift and watching someone open it is my favorite part of the season. However, it can be tricky at times (not to mention expensive) to find suitable gifts for everyone on your list. I have gone through plenty of trial and error myself, so here is my current ultimate holiday gift guide of things your friends actually want. 

Merchandise Made by Someone They Are Obsessed With 

This is one of my favorite gift ideas this year, because it is super easy but also very personal. It is almost guaranteed that your friend’s favorite band, Youtuber, podcast etc. has some sort of merchandise that they will love. I personally found some amazing finds, such as this cozy Alisha Marie merch for your YouTube obsessed friend, Gals on the Go and Call Her Daddy Merch for you podcast buddies, and even brand collaborations like Ashley (bestdressed on YouTube) with En Route Jewelry. 

Home (In A Candle)

This one is perfect for your friends who A) have been missing home in college or B) can’t wait to burn candles 24/7 during winter break. The specific brand of candle is called Homesick candles, and each scent is a carefully crafted blend that represents a state or major city in the U.S. The Seattle Candle, for example, smells like coffee, fresh rain and lemongrass. They are a thoughtful gift to remind your friend of home or the perfect touch to cozy up a dreary winter day. 

Zodiac Szn 

For the friend who always alerts you of what their CoStar notification said that day,there are so many simple and affordable zodiac gifts! One of my favorites is jewelry, especially constellation necklaces, which are a very safe gift bet. If they love their zodiac sign and candles, get them a custom candle with a scent perfectly matching the day they were born to burn at home over winter break. 

Personalized for the Pet Lover 

We all know someone whose best friend is a dog. Or parakeet. Or hamster. Get them a super cute and personalized gift of socks with their pet’s face on them! There are a bunch of sites which easily allow you to customize socks (or other items) such as divvyup.com, which also donates a pair of socks to someone in need every time you purchase a pair. The best part is, even Amazon stocks them. 

Something You Love 

What better time than the holiday season to make your loved ones finally try that product you have been raving about for months? Just kidding (mostly). Sharing something that you personally love is always a good gift idea (keeping the recipient’s likes in mind, of course). Getting you friend your favorite lip balm, for example, is a simple gift which the two of you can bond over. 

A Token From Your State / Country 

This idea is perfect for those last minute “I had no idea we were exchanging gifts” moments. Especially in college, many of your friends likely come from very different unique places with a lot to share. I, for example, have a friend who lives in Vermont and uses beautiful glass bottles full of maple syrup as a go-to gift. It’s simple and thoughtful, and will give your friend a little slice of where you come from. 

Happy Holidays and Happy Gifting! 

XOXO, Bella 

Images: X X X X X X

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com 

Isabella LoRe

Mt Holyoke '23

Hi! I'm Bella, a first year at Mount Holyoke College. I love fashion, documenting my life on my Youtube channel, and crafting obnoxiously complicated coffee orders (sorry baristas).
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.