TOP 5: New Shows to Watch This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

(photos courtesy of NBC, CBS, Netflix, and ABC)

Television shows are a great way to relax and unwind after a long, hard day of classes. Every season, there are new shows on every station airing in hopes of attracting enough viewers to secure a second season. It’s difficult to compete with shows already in their sophomore season or shows that have been on for four or more seasons. Today, more and more shows are gaining popularity because of the way they are advertised from online platforms to television commercials and promotional billboards. Here are my top five hottest shows to check out this fall.

Blindspot

“A mind erased. A body of clues.”

This drama stars Jaimie Alexander, known for playing Lady Sif in Marvel’s Thor (2011) and Thor: The Dark World (2013), as Jane Doe. The show starts off with a naked woman covered in recent tattoos whose mind has been erased. While she has exhibited some interesting skills such as hand to hand combat and being able to hold her breath for at least four minutes, the rest of her life is, as they say in the promos, a “blindspot.” Why should you watch this show? First of all, who doesn’t love a good mystery? Secondly, Alexander’s Jane Doe has been described as the female Jason Bourne according to Entertainment Weekly, so be prepared for badass stunts and action sequences.

Heroes: Reborn

“Do you ever get the feeling you’re meant to do something extraordinary?”

This isn’t quite a reboot of the original Heroes series. Perhaps we can call it a sequel of sorts since it is a continuation of the story in the world that Tim Kring created in 2005. This 13-episode miniseries is going back to the heroic roots of its first season and to the ordinary people with extraordinary abilities. With a new cast to fill in spots of new characters, they are supported by characters from the original series including the mysterious Noah Bennet, AKA HRG (Horn Rimmed Glasses). Even if you haven’t seen the first series, you definitely want to tune into this event. Honestly, who doesn’t like the idea of having superpowers?

Supergirl

“A new hero will rise.”

Very few female superheroes get the lead in movies or television shows. Women are treated as simply “part of the team,” sidekicks, or love interests (exhibit A: Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow) and are rarely given what they deserve. Supergirl is DC Comics’ first move towards involving women in their franchise, which will be followed by the Wonder Woman movie due in 2017. Having Supergirl on the small screen will have a tremendous impact on young girls today, showing them that yes, there are female superheroes and they are just as amazing as male superheroes, if not better. Supergirl is expected to do well, but in order to ensure that the show receives a second season, we all need to tune in and support Melissa Benoist in her new role of wearing the red cape.

Jessica Jones

“It’s time the world knew her name.”

Following in the footsteps of DC Comics, Marvel is releasing its own live action female superhero show through Netflix. Jessica Jones, played by Krysten Ritter, is a private investigator in the middle of New York. A former superhero suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, Jones is now helping other people with their own extraordinary abilities. Jessica Jones will take place in the same universe as other Marvel Cinematic Universe works, such as Daredevil and The Avengers. In fact, expect some Daredevil characters to make appearances on Jessica Jones. Again, we definitely need to support our female superheroes since there are so few who receive their own television show. All episodes of Jessica Jones will be available to stream on Netflix on November 20th, 2015.

Quantico

“The FBI’s top recruit is now their most wanted.”

Despite the rather soap-y looking promos that have been airing, Quantico is expected to be a hit during ABC’s Sunday night lineup. In fact, Quantico is expected to be ABC’s best new show premiering this fall along with The Muppets. Quantico, led by Priyanka Chopra in her first American television show, will take place in two separate timelines. The first one will follow new FBI recruits throughout their training in Quantico. The second timeline will fast forward into the future when the recruits are out of the Academy. Things will heat up quickly when Priyanka Chopra’s character is accused of being the mastermind behind 9/11.

Check out these shows as soon as you can and put in the comments your favorite new fall shows whether they’re from this list or another show you’ve tuned into!

Elizabeth Gottshall is a Mount Holyoke College sophomore who is into photography, writing, studio art, and film. She spends her free time spotting and petting dogs on campus, working with photoshop, and watching movies and tv shows on Netflix. After college, she hopes to be working either in the film or television industry.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.