Tips for Your First Tattoo & How to Decide Whether to Get One

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Does the thought of getting a tattoo pop into your head every once in awhile? Do you have a Pinterest board dedicated to cute tattoos that you’re pretty sure you’ll never get? Are you always asking random people about the meaning of their cool tattoo? If this sounds like you, maybe it’s time to start researching whether or not you should get one yourself. As someone who’s been tattooed a whopping two times (impressive, I know), here is some of my advice.

1. Make sure you know exactly what you want. Never do something you’re unsure about. But remember, hesitance is different from cautiousness. If you’re hesitant about getting a tattoo, you can always think about it and come back another time. Trust your gut and consider waiting. Cautiousness, on the other hand, is actually a good thing. It’s just a sign that you’re trying to make a smart decision. Whatever the case is, there’s no rush.

2. Even though it can be tempting, try not to make a spur of the moment decision. If I had a nickel for every time I’ve heard about a Moho/someone I know getting a piercing or tattoo just because they happened to be at Lucky’s with a group of friends, I’d be able to pay off all of my student loans (I’m obviously exaggerating, but you get the point.) You might have a funny story to tell, but you also might end up with a tattoo you regret.

3. Stay away from the stick and poke. “Stick and poke” is a manual needle-poking technique that amateur tattoo artists/many college students use on themselves or friends. While stick and poke tattoos are normally cheap or free, they’re not worth it if you’re being serious, not to mention they’re a lot riskier in terms of sanitation.

4. Do a “test drive.” Draw on yourself so you can visualize what your tattoo might look like. A common way to make temporary tattoos is to use eyeliner and hairspray. Sharpie also works.

5.  Do as much research as you can! For example, getting a tattoo on your inner wrist is more painful than getting tattooed on your upper arm—information like this is helpful to know when making your big decision. YouTube is also a great resource if you want to see exactly what to expect.

If you’re 100% positive you want a tattoo, here’s where you can start:

1. Save up. Tattoos can get pretty expensive depending on how big or how intricate your design is, so think about putting aside some money before you splurge.  

2. Find the right place. I can’t stress how important it is to find a place that’s reputable. Don’t go to a place in which the atmosphere and tattoo artists make you feel uncomfortable. For example, I had heard some great things about Wanderlust Tattoo in Amherst but when I went, I ended up having a not so great experience. In short, I wanted to get a Bible verse tattoo, and the tattoo artist I was consulting with was extremely condescending, judgmental, and was acting as though he was inconvenienced by my presence. Side note, if you see one of the tattoo artists smoking weed, just leave. I promise it’ll save you a lot of time.

3. Schedule an appointment. Many tattoo parlors accept walk-ins, but it’s always best to make an appointment. You’ll have one less thing to worry about.  

4. Take care of yourself! Bring a friend with you for support, and beforehand, make sure you take tylenol/advil and get something to eat.

Whether you decide to get a tattoo now or sometime down the road, do your research! Go in prepared but don’t be afraid to change your mind if you’re having doubts. It might seem obsessive to prepare so extensively, but tattoos are forever–which can either be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how mindful you are when deciding to get a tattoo.

Images [a, b]

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Kalea Martin

Mt Holyoke '19

Buongiorno! I'm Kalea. I love dogs, ice hockey, and breakfast. My skills include giving hugs and singing Les Mis in the shower.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.