Things To Do When You Go Home For The Holidays (And Home Is 3000 Miles Away)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

1. Visit your doctor

When was your last checkup? Probably the last time you were home. It can be hard to see a doctor at college. The health center may only have one physician and a handful of nurses there to help the entire student body. And if they can’t help, you may be out of luck. Your health is important, so while you can, go see your doctor who knows you best, even if you don’t think anything is wrong. Prevention is the best medicine. I also suggest making a list of anything that you want to bring up with your doctor when you see her or him. Your body may be changing so any differences you notice may be worth bringing up.

2. Visit your dentist

For similar reasons as above. While you are at college, you probably have no access to any dentist. And I know, you hate going to the dentist. Everybody hates going to the dentist. But taking care of yourself is part of being an independent adult. Your teeth need to be cleaned at least once a year.

3. Save your photos and backup your computer

You’ve probably taken a lot of photos on your phone over the last semester when you went to see that famous author or you ate sushi with your friends. Save your photos on your laptop or a USB to clear up space on your phone. If you are like me, you have had to delete apps to free up space on your phone for the hundreds of photos you take. Save yourself the trouble and simply move your photos to a new location.

4. Find out what has changed in your hometown

Things can change fast. It might be a good idea to talk to your family and friends not only about what has been going on in their lives, but also about what has been going on in the community. What are the issues that have been raised, how did the most recent election go, are there any new restaurants or public spaces that have been built while you were gone? This may seem like an odd task, but it’s nice to know what has happened while you’ve been gone so that you do not become a stranger in your own hometown while you’re at college.

5. Relax

Eat at your favorite places, go to your favorite hangouts, or spend the whole day in your room. Do all the things you can’t do when you’re at college. I’ve found that I appreciate those things more now than I used to.

When you go to a college that is a long distance from home, you start to realize what makes your hometown so wonderful. It may have been your family and friends, or it may have been the environment, but every place has something worthwhile there. And that includes your new home as well. Hope you enjoyed Break!

Image sources:  x x x x x x x

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Gauri Ganjoo

Mt Holyoke '19

I was the Co-Campus Coordinator of Her Campus Mt Holyoke for during my senior year of college. where I learnt so much and got to help others find their voice. I graduated in 2019 from Mount Holyoke College with a degree in Mathematics and a minor in Film Studies.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.