The Sisterhood of the Traveling Purse, Part 3

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Jess here! Today was my turn toting around the fabulous MZ Wallace bag. (Thanks, Her Campus!) If I’m being honest with myself, sometimes I can be a little style-over-substance. But today I decided to use that to my advantage, and instead of showing you all whatever horrific cluttered mess I would surely turn this bag into, I would present you with a little OotD. (Outfit of the Day, for those of you who haven’t been on the internet since 2006.) After an excessive number of hall mirror selfies and the excruciating “which slightly different picture do I look better in” process, I give you my Outfit of the Day, broken down piece by fashionable piece.

#nofilter

Purple Modcloth dress

Modcloth is my best friend and biggest weakness. So many of my cutest pieces, especially my dresses, come from this retro online boutique. I even bought two of my prom dresses from this site! This particular dress was part of their Stylish Surprise sale, a rare, unannounced event where you pay $10 plus shipping and receive a random clothing item in your size. This might sound like too risky a venture for some, but I’ve personally always struck gold (I mean, purple) both times I’ve participated. Warning: this site is an adorable black hole that will suck you in with their quirky socks and cutesy dress names.

Burberry scarf

Okay, so mine isn’t ACTUALLY from Burberry. Only in my dreams, apparently. But this plaid-on-tan pattern became so popular that even with knockoffs like this one I have go by that name. It was much warmer today than I’d anticipated, but the air still definitely had an early-autumn chill. I love when fashion is functional, and I LOVE being cozy; this super soft scarf kept me warm and really made the rest of the outfit stand out. I bought mine from Crazy Moon in the Village Commons across the street, so go ahead and nab one of your own!

Moon Glow necklace

You can’t even see it in the picture but I really need to talk about this piece of jewelry. I bought this necklace over the summer from a vendor at the annual Seafood Festival in a nearby Jersey Shore beach town. The seller explained to me that each necklace was customized to show how the moon looked the day you were born. There’s a small black onyx at the bottom for luck, and the metal is magnetized for balance. I wasn’t sold on all this hoo-doo, new-age, Zodiac kind of thing until she told me that it glows in the dark. I bought it on the spot.

Flower-print Doc Martens

These shoes are my baby. They’re both cute and durable; I feel like I could work a runway in these and climb a mountain right after. Best of all, they’re waterproof, which is a lifesaver in rain and snow. I actually wear these more than I wear real snow boots in the winter, they’re that good. Mine have certainly seen better days and are getting worn and dirty after so much use, but I’ll be wearing them for as long as they fit on my feet.

MZ Wallace bag

The piece de résistance, of course is what holds it all together while holding all my stuff: the bag. It’s classy but casual, spacious but organized, bold but comfortable. This bag is perfect for the college student who needs to bring everything but the kitchen sink with them to class (like me). And, of course, black goes with everything, so you’ll never have to worry about being mismatched. What a steal, right?

Bonus: Rosie the Riveter socks

Also from Modcloth. Wasn’t I totally right about the quirky socks?

Jessica Noe

Mt Holyoke

Jess Noé was born and raised at the Jersey Shore (not the one seen on TV.) A sophomore at MHC, she is studying English, journalism, media and broadcast. Along with writing for Her Campus, she hosts a radio show for WMHC, where she would LIKE to play "Burnin' Up" by the Jonas Brothers on repeat for the entirety of her two-hour weekly show, but sadly, she is very much not allowed to do so. Jess hopes to someday own a private beach, where she will live with her many, many dogs and her husband, Zayn Malik. While writing this bio, she saw a spider, screamed, and retreated to another room. She is terribly afraid of bugs.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.