This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

I’ve spent a lot of time on this campus. Having a Massachusetts permit and my campus address set as my permanent residence, I can say I’ve been around. I’ve seen the seasons change and bloom multiple times throughout the school year, and I believe I have reached a final opinion on where they stand. Here it goes, from worst to best:

4- Spring

This may be a very unpopular opinion, and I accept that. My problem with spring is that it manages to be quite miserable for most of it. The mud as snow starts to melt, the non-stop rain, the mud, did I mention the mud? Additionally, this season is so unpredictable. Will we get 5 feet of snow? Will I get a tan from 20 minutes outside? Will it be a regular day with clouds? No one knows. Good luck preparing an outfit.

I will admit that once the weather gets nicer, the mud dries, and nature starts to bloom, it gets beautiful. The problem is the journey until we get there.

3- Winter

It’s cold. Very cold. As someone who was born and raised in the tropics, I physically was not made for this. Oh boy, does that walk home to the Delles suck. Additionally, I never seem to get my outfits right, completely bundling up on days where I’ll end up sweating, and wearing just a hoodie when it’s so cold I’m about to become Elsa herself. Oh, and how could I forget the 4:30 P.M. sunset? That sure does wonders for my routine and mental health! NOT! Maybe I’d enjoy winter more if I could just stay inside under my blankets all day . . .  or that might be the incoming seasonal depression talking. Happy lights from LITS, anyone?

However, the reason why this is #3 and not dead last is because winter is beautiful. Watching the glittering snow fall from the sky, making snowwomen with boobs on Skinner Green, taking a warm shower at the end of a long day, sledding down Creighton Hill with your besties . . .  those are all reasons to enjoy the winter, and I didn’t even list all its advantages. The anticipation of a possible snow day is also so much fun, in my humble opinion, even though we never get one. Different from spring, winter has a constant beauty to it, and I appreciate that. Plus, the bugs are gone!

2- Summer

Summer here is so enjoyable. Speaking from a solely on-campus perspective, the experiences you have are priceless. The friends you meet, the work you do—everything about it is built on pure love! I can’t stress enough how awesome summer is in South Hadley. Oh wait, I wrote a whole article about it! Go check it out ;).

Besides the oh-it’s-lovely-being-on-campus point, the weather is so incredible. I’m someone who grew up in very warm places (I’m talking 68 degrees Fahrenheit winters), so I’m used to blistering heat. I never knew heat could be enjoyable until I spent it in Massachusetts. Due to low humidity, it’s the type of heat that makes you want to lay a blanket outside and have a picnic, not peel your skin off. Sure, it’s hot—very hot some days—but most of the time, it’s perfectly fine. Summer, my beloved!! Thanks for allowing me to experience all the beauty of Western Mass!

1- Fall

Oh, Fall. The most beautiful of all. The weather is perfectly balanced, with warm days that are never too hot and never too cold. The colors of nature are in full bloom, with deep reds, oranges, greens, yellows . . . it’s like God’s paintbrush had leftover paint. All the fall activities are so fun and silly; who doesn’t love a day of apple picking or the corn maze, coupled with some Nutella hot chocolate from The Perk? All this, along with the excitement of being on campus and starting a new academic year, makes for a very inspiring experience. 

Disagree with me? If you see me around campus, give me your ranking and why. Let’s see who wins the battle of the seasons.

hello! class of 2026, neuroscience major, nice to meet you! some stuff I love is my family, my friends, studying, learning, meeting people, talking, reading, writing, eating, traveling, trains, public transportation, road trips, nature, crossing borders, my homeland of Brazil, being a Posse scholar, Williston Library, being at Mount Holyoke, working... but most of all, I love the world. I love love. and I love you! ps - i write a lot about the past. that means i'm over it <3 u get the gist!