This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

As someone with a lot of test anxiety, I dread seeing quiz dates get closer and closer on my calendar. I study until the last possible minute and still wonder if it will be enough, even though deep down, I know it is. Even if the exam goes well, I’ll still be quite concerned about my grade and doubt my knowledge: What if 2+2 is actually 5? Despite all of these anxieties, the biggest worry for me is that I only get one try. If I get it wrong, it’s all over.

However, some classes I’ve taken here at MHC help diminish such anxiety by offering a mastery-based grading system, which allows for retries of an exam to fix errors. Of course, it needs to be implemented correctly, with partial credit policies and multiple out-of-class opportunities to review. Despite all these collaterals, I believe every class should use a mastery-based grading system. Here’s why:

First, as mentioned before, mastery-based grading helps to lower test anxiety. When I have an exam I know I can do again, I treat it exactly like it should be: a learning experience. I don’t feel like it’s as necessary to get everything right the first time, as I know I’ll be able to review and still get a good grade. Since I go into the exam with a calmer mindset, I inevitably do better. Additionally, retaking exams also helps with material retention due to the constant review.

Second, mastery-based grading is rewarding for the professors as well. I firmly believe that no classroom is perfect, and that there’s always room for improvement. By examining what areas students are struggling with, professors can re-evaluate their teaching techniques and focus on weaker points as needed. Seeing your students improve due to your collaborative work must be so satisfying to a professor, as it proves they’re doing their job right. A little serotonin boost never hurt anybody!

Finally, mastery-based grading is the essence of what school should be all about. By rewarding hard work and dedication, this system helps instill in students that perfection is not necessary, which betters their mental health. Mastery-based grading gets students excited to learn, as they’ll be rewarded for chasing after their mistakes and truly understanding what went wrong. This system is incredibly effective in reminding us students what truly matters in life: perseverance. We would all benefit from a wide implementation of mastery-based grading.

hello! class of 2026, neuroscience major, nice to meet you! some stuff I love is my family, my friends, studying, learning, meeting people, talking, reading, writing, eating, traveling, trains, public transportation, road trips, nature, crossing borders, my homeland of Brazil, being a Posse scholar, Williston Library, being at Mount Holyoke, working... but most of all, I love the world. I love love. and I love you! ps - i write a lot about the past. that means i'm over it <3 u get the gist!