This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Over winter break I saw the movie Lady Bird and although it’s been a while now, there’s one quote from the movie that still resonates with me: “We’re afraid that we will never escape our past. We’re afraid of what the future will bring. We’re afraid we won’t be loved, we won’t be liked. And we won’t succeed.” It’s one of those quotes that voices a thought I’ve had before, but never knew how to put into words. But this quote is just one of the reasons why I enjoyed the movie so much!

For those of you who haven’t seen Lady Bird, the film takes place in Sacramento, CA, in 2002. The main character is a teenage girl named Christine McPherson who attends a Catholic school. Christine prefers everyone call her “Lady Bird”, which reflects her quirky personality. The film is definitely a coming-of-age story, but a very unique one. One aspect of the movie that’s profound is Lady Bird’s complicated relationship with her mother. While it’s clear that they love one another, they also have their moments of conflict and tension. Other characters of the film include the rest of Lady Bird’s family, and her school peers. Her relationships with all of the people in her life are quite funny and are definitely some of the main highlights of the story.

A Funny Scene of Lady Bird and her Mom

What most stood out to me about this movie is how realistic the dynamics between the characters are. In some movies it seems like the characters either live in perfect harmony or can’t stand one another, which doesn’t reflect real life. In Lady Bird I love how there are moments of happiness and peace and moments of bitterness and disagreement. It makes the situations feel much more relatable and tangible. I especially liked the interactions between Lady Bird and her mom, because they accurately portrayed what a mother-daughter relationship can be like. In the movie, Lady Bird asks her mom if she likes her, to which her mom replies “Of course I love you.” But instead of being satisfied with that answer, Lady Bird fires back, “Okay. But do you like me?” Hearing this exchange between them made my heart ache, and I almost wanted to reach through the screen and hug Lady Bird. The emotional impact the characters have on you feels so real, it’s hard to remember you’re watching a movie and not seeing this in real life.

I don’t want to give away any more of the story, but if you’re still debating on whether or not to see Lady Bird, check out these critics’ reviews from online!

“You want to give thanks for how wonderful it is, how wise and funny and full of grace.” – Joe Morgenstern, Wall Street Journal

“Anyone who’s lived within the emotional cyclone known as adolescence will recognize the vertiginous highs and lows of Lady Bird.” – Ann Hornaday, Washington Post

“What Greta Gerwig has done — and it’s by no means a small accomplishment — is to infuse one of the most convention-bound, rose-colored genres in American cinema with freshness and surprise.” – A.O. Scott, The New York Times

“Writer-director Greta Gerwig’s semi autobiographical Lady Bird is both generous and joyous, but when it stings, it stings deep.” – Stephanie Zacharek, TIME

Not convinced by these reviews? Then check out the trailer below!

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

ABOUT ME Name: Olivia Hobert Pronouns: She/Her/Hers Age: 20 Birthday: March 6 Astrological Sign: Pisces College/Year: Mount Holyoke College 2020 Major: Psychology & Education Hometown: Framingham, MA Hobbies: Writing, Reading, Photography
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.