This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

The past week we experienced some lovely weather, and campus responded accordingly. The green was packed with blankets, there wasn’t an empty green chair in sight, and visitors with baby carriages and dogs littered the sidewalks. Skirts, tanks, and the like were taken out of hibernation and everyone was enjoying their time in the warm, sunny weather. If you’re a Mount Holyoke student, there are a few activities on and around campus that should definitely be on your spring bucket list.

Spring flowers in Mount Holyoke College Talcott Greenhouse
Original photo by Grace Ryhlick

MHC Flower Show

Although the flower show has long since passed at the time of me writing this article, it’s the perfect way to signal that spring has arrived and celebrate the turn of the season. I always make a point to visit the flower show at least once, if not two or three times, every time March rolls around. The displays are bright and vibrant, the greenhouse is warm and cozy, and everyone who visits is in high spirits. If you’re a Mount Holyoke student, you know that the flower show is a popular attraction and it’s definitely worth the trip over to the greenhouse.

Cindy’s Drive-in

My personal favorite on the list, Cindy’s Drive-in in Granby, just a short drive from campus, opens around the end of March or beginning of April every year. With a 50’s diner aesthetic, adorned with pastels and neon lights, it’s the best spot to grab an ice cream. They have more soft serve flavors than any other ice cream shop I’ve ever visited along with a hefty selection of classic hard ice cream as well. The lawn behind the building is littered with brightly colored picnic tables of all shapes and sizes along with various playsets for kids. Cindy’s isn’t just a yummy ice cream shop, it’s a whole experience!

Skinner Green and the green chairs

As soon as the sun comes out and the temperature starts to climb, Skinner Green attracts students from all over campus. As you look across the lawn, you’ll see various blankets strewn about, hammocks tied up between the trees, and groups of friends laughing, playing yard games, or doing homework while soaking up the sunshine. You can rent equipment like frisbees, badminton rackets, and more from the info desk in Blanchard to have fun with your friends! If you don’t have a blanket or towel to lay out on, you can always try your luck searching for an empty green chair on various greens around campus. The infamous green chairs migrate around the lawns on the center of campus and by the academic buildings. They’re popular homework spots and are a hot commodity, so best of luck finding one that’s unoccupied!

Blanch patio

Before COVID struck and there was no massive tent on Skinner green functioning as a makeshift dining hall and no take-out containers allowing you to eat outside anywhere on campus, seating on the Blanch patio was another hot commodity. Open only when folks first arrive on campus and when spring arrives again toward the end of second semester, the patio is a great spot for a meal with friends while enjoying some fresh air and looking out over Lower Lake. Beware, though! This bucket list item is time-sensitive: make sure to eat outside in the first week or so of the patio reopening if you want to avoid being harassed by wasps. If you can get out on the patio before the wasp infestation sets in, it’s definitely worth experiencing. 

Local Farms Food
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Flayvors of Cook Farm

Another popular ice cream spot, Flayvors is open year-round but is most enjoyable in the warmer months. While Cindy’s has picnic tables and children’s playsets, Flayvors has its own unique twist: cows! While the ice cream is yummy, the highlight of this bucket list trip will definitely be visiting the cows that border the shop’s parking lot. Head over to Hadley to get yourself a sweet treat and see some even sweeter animals. 

The lakes paths and hiking trails

Last but not least, the paths around the lakes and through the woods are much more enjoyable when you don’t have to be bundled up in coats and hats. Whether you’re an avid runner or go for the occasional walk, make sure to take a break from your work to make your way around campus to see the flowers popping up along the shores, the cherry trees blossoming, and the bright green of new spring growth sprouting on tree branches. 

As I experience my last spring on campus, I’ll definitely be sure to cross all of these springtime activities off my bucket list. Here’s hoping more warm, sunny weather is in our future so we can all have a lovely spring at Mount Holyoke!

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.

Rachel Paradis

Mt Holyoke '22

I am a senior at Mount Holyoke majoring in mathematics and minoring in psychology. I enjoy listening to music and crocheting, as well as Halloween and antique/thrift shops.